ad: QSKLLC-1

What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just worked W2LCW, the Long Island CW Club, POTA in New Yawk on both 20 and 40 meters. I'm guessing this is sporadic E?

2. AE5X

AE5X Ham Member QRZ Page

Just received the new SW-3B in the mail today and worked LZ1WR on 20m CW. A nice little rig so far.

John AE5X
    https://ae5x.blogspot.com/

KC7JNJ and N8AFT like this.
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

FB 20m logbook!

4. WR1O

WR1O Ham Member QRZ Page

I picked up a Ten-Tec R4020 CW QRP transceiver at a flea market from an estate of an SK, no one knew anything about it so I got it for $20, plastic still over the display. Works amazing and has rekindled my interest in CW. I will report back after I make my first DX contact. Very impressive pocket sized piece of gear.

N8AFT, KC7JNJ and WN1MB like this.
  5. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you think that? (Serious question) I work stations on those bands and those distances quite often.

6. KM4DYX

I was thinking that 470 miles via the F layer, especially now, would be well-nigh impossible given the take off angle required. I listen for the NCDXF beacon on 14100 quite often. Some days it is weak, other days it's 59. Also, the VOACAP prediction gives me a 0% chance of hearing it, and I assume that that program is based upon FoF2 propagation. Lastly, I just don't know how to determine if it is E or F layer prop and I was hoping someone would.

7. KM4DYX

For example: just now (1853 UTC) I could barely hear Finland, Madeira, Venezuela, NYC, and California. Typical of F-layer prop, I would think. Other days most of those stations are weak-fairly good and NYC is so strong it startles me.

KD8ZM likes this.
  8. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

HEY MARK ! Welcome back OM.
    I work MA regularly from Ohio and hope to hear you on the CW portion soon...
    Let us know here what band/freq and time you regularly are on...

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.
    Work QRP.
    72 / 73

9. KM4DYX

Just scored my first 60 M QSO with KI4SVM who was SOTA in GA. My SGC doesn't do 60 so I dusted off the FT-817 and had just rigged a switch so I could use my one antenna with both rigs. Minutes later it was in the log. According to his zed page SVM uses an FT-817 for SOTA, so probably 817 to 817. Doing CW! Working QRP!

Al

10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

But, but, but ...

... the bands are dead.

... CW is an antiquated mode.

... life is too short for QRP.

;)

72/73, Jeff

KD8ZM likes this.