ad: portazero-1

What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

N4XRD, KB2FCV, KC8VWM and 3 others like this.
  2. K0MBT

K0MBT Ham Member QRZ Page

I get comments like "....Are you running power or just 100?" Ah, 10 sir....

W5BIB, K5VZD and KD8ZM like this.
  3. W6FYK

W6FYK Ham Member QRZ Page

IMG_2856.JPG Saturday worked Chile Brazil Argentina Hawaii on 28.400 with xiegu x5105 and 28" Rubber Duck.
    At 1600 feet.

US7IGN and KC8VWM like this.
  4. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Been out in the RV. First trip with a new antenna, a Buddistick. It is working much better than my way too low dipoles did last year.

I have had a lot of fun trying to make a few contacts a day. Paper log, straight key, QCX and the vertical antenna. I have been pleasantly surprised how easy it has gotten.

US7IGN and KD8ZM like this.
  5. N4XRD

N4XRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Just getting started with dedicated QRP portable station. Set up the gazebo station for the second time this afternoon. Erected the Sotabeams Tactical 7000hds pole & Band Hopper 4 antenna, a very nice "store bought" set up. Ran SLAB power to the new FT-818 for the first time. I have much to learn. Only on the air for an hour but mostly it was practice setting up for SOTA activations. My region has 65 SOTA summits, many of which have zero activations.
    Been a hiker for most my life. The last fifteen have been ultralight so carrying radio gear will be easy to add to my very light pack. I only use a day pack because light gear is also very compact. Been asked many times if I was a "day hiker". So that is my trail name. Next time you head out don't take any just in case equipment, just take what you have to have to make it through the night.

But I digress.... N4XRD (and you really don't need a tent or stove)

W7CJD, US7IGN and KC8VWM like this.
  6. KF9VV

I have been having a blast on this trip with the QCX and the Buddistick. I have been able to work US stations easily, and even be able to rag chew pretty much at will. At 2 Watts, rag chews are cherished, and I have had a bunch of them on this trip.

I picked up the Buddistick as an easy option to stay on the air in camp sites with harsh restrictions. Turns out the thing works. I have the Buddistick together with the pole, so the base of the antenna is about 12 feet above the ground. One elevated radial, which means the antenna is directional. The radial placement is critical. Yes, it is fussy, I use a noise bridge to tune it in and a compass every time it gets set up. It only takes a few minutes, but if I get lazy it does not work well.

Worked Serbia this evening from a camp site north of Atlanta QRP on second call. That really surprised me.

I was at the same camp sites last spring and struggled. A year later and two things have changed; went from a low dipole to a vertical and I spent a lot of time improving CW skills using the Zen approach. Both mattered a lot, and made for a ton of fun so far. The thought of working a little DX out camping was beyond comprehension a year ago. I will be at a different level of understanding a year from now. I cannot even imagine how much more fun that will be!

I can see that this is a path of endless learning.

US7IGN and KC8VWM like this.
  7. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Chased Brent, KG5AUU, who was SOTA with a few watts and a wire and busting brush in Arkansas. Great job on the first activation of Sugartree Mountain! Check out his zed page.

Been away from it for awhile, but I've been keeping up with my copy/sending practice. Feels good to pick it back up again.

72/73,
    Al

8. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked AM570XA (Spain) from outside on the deck tonight with 3 or 4 watts on 30m. Several other contacts stateside as well. Fun!
    73 Brady

9. KF9VV

Out in the RV in Arkansas. Wow, this is one beautiful state!

Worked some of the Florida QSO Party and a great contact to Montana from a CQ up in SKCC territory. QCX and a Buddistick. The combo works well as long as I am working propagation to maximize my little pistol. Working QRP has made me much more aware of propagation.

Working a contest from the field with a QRP radio is a lot of fun, The really fun part is I set a goal of three contacts, and once I had 'em I left contest mode. I got the thrill of the chase, made a game of how fast I could do it and did not impose on my wife's enjoyment of the trip. Total win.

Jim
    KF9VV

K7III, W5BIB and KD8ZM like this.
  10. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep.

W7CJD likes this.