ad: AlphaRF-1

What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Put the 40M QCX on the air today to check it out in preparation for a camping trip. Yep, it still works. Had a nice rag chew with a Kansas station.

I had drifted away from QRP due to enjoying CW rag chewing and a desire to make things easy for the other guy. It turns out that QRP can and does work just fine for rag chews, I needed to go a bit deeper into understanding propagation and antennas.

I see QRP differently now. It is a great place to build skill.

KC7JNJ, KD8ZM and US7IGN like this.
  2. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just worked Antarctica RI1ANX on 5w, 30meters. He was calling CQ so I answered him, got 559 report. I was surprised when he said where he was located.
    Anyone know how to get a QSL all the way down there? (I'm a newbie and don't chase DX).

KC8VWM and KC7JNJ like this.
  3. KF9VV

4. KD8ZM

That's who it was, all right, and where he said he was - Wolf Fang airstrip. Pretty confusing as far as how QSL-ing would work, but I'll think about sending a SASE to the S. Africa address.
    Question: Would LoTW work for this? I know nothing about it, but I just applied for membership on LoTW because I'm a ARRL member. Maybe someone here can explain if that would verify my contact, or not?

5. KF9VV

LoTW is a fabulous concept, but the number of ops using it can be disappointing.

If I read the dxnews posting right, this operator is a direct mail guy.

Personally, I use LoTW and eQSL for all contacts. I figure there are some folks out there working towards awards. OK, I also am pretty comfortable in thinking Wisconsin is not a "rare one" to get, so in no way do I feel like I am some prize. Just Joe Ham.

Every now and then I take a look at my stats in ACLOG and smile when I see almost all the states confirmed on CW.

I also modernized my station this year. Rig and computer are now integrated, and LoTW and eQSL uploads are automated. DX spots are also automated.

PM me for more.

Jim
    KF9VV

6. KD8ZM

I trust your judgment on that. I'll send him an email to see what is most convenient for him.

7. MM3ENM

MM3ENM Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked Vladivostok, the South of France, Italy and Hungary on 20m.

Lots of sun and wind, so the batteries had a lot to drink.

KD8ZM likes this.
  8. KF9VV

QRP log entries are adding up. South Florida and Texas from WI both reported strong signals last night.

Gave the SKCC SKS a whirl tonight and struggled. Best contact was Maryland which also was QRP <> QRP on 80M.

What I am learning is with QRP, you have to pay close attention to how a band changes, it can create small windows of opportunity that are big fun. The windows are fleeting, and the game of hunting them is a blast.

The rate of log additions has slowed down, but I am learning at a faster pace now at QRP. I will take the learning.

9. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This weekend has been a little fun. I have not gotten any of the states I need, but was able to work St. Maarten 5wts SSB.

KD8ZM likes this.
  10. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a CW QRPer and I have a new Hilltopper 20 rig that I am dying to have a QSO with but 20m has been out to lunch for the last few days. I need 20 more states for my QRP WAS efforts in 2018/19 and I am hoping the HT20 will help me get some of the western edge stuff I still need. I'll be hanging on 14060 after 22:00Z most evenings...and from 10:00Z to 10:40Z in the mornings. http://kb9bvn.net