What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

I just started actually trying to make contacts on the HF bands recently after a little more than a year licensed as a ham.

Everything prior was VHF SOTA. The Endfedz 20m has netted me at least 10 QSOs in under a hour on 6 POTA activations. My antenna end usually is 15-20’ off the ground (in tree) and other end is park table bench or on just above ground. I only operate portable in relatively quiet RFI-wise areas so that probably is helping. I’d suggest get or build the Endfedz and figure out a way to get it in the air. Good luck!

Erik
    KE8OKM

KC7JNJ likes this.
  2. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

More contacts with the 2 transistor QRP rig.

5w crystal control on 7 MHz.

Unedited live stream from earlier today.

KC7JNJ and KE8OKM like this.
  3. KE8OKM

Fun QRP POTA attempt in “The Haammtonnzz” Long Island NY!

30F97F9E-B52E-4B32-951B-B040E799FC96.jpeg

So, I encountered my first treeless operating area and in the spirit of QRP experimentation set up my FT818 with a suboptimal positioned 20m Endfedz. The antenna was Parallel and 3’ off the sand dune hanging from a bush. Surprisingly I still got signals out as far as Florida and Louisiana. Sand flies, mosquitoes and some other biting things added to the experience!!!

Erik
    KE8OKM

W4ZNG, K1CWB and KC7JNJ like this.
  4. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well today for the first time in a long time I got out of my valley and my 820ft elevation. I got to the ridge line east of me at 4000ft with no man made noise. My PAR tri band end fed really worked well. My little 817 was crystal clear. I got a chance to tune around some before my scheduled contact. WOW! I forget what it like to be in the clear. 20 meters was hopping, I heard this one station he was pounding me so hard I thought he had to be local. He was in New Mexico. I hope I get a chance to do this more often.

W4ZNG, K1CWB and WN1MB like this.
  5. PC1RZ

PC1RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yesterday, Went to a town nearby, with a friend,
    Had some nice ssb qso on 20m and some digital contact on 20 and 40.
    Using the Icom 705, and a Superantenna MP-1 with a longer military whip.
    A Microsoft surface go 1st gen for my Digtal modes and logging.
    All powered with a cheap 25w alie express solarpanel and an Eremit 6ah lifepo battery.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    WD4ELG, W4ZNG, KE8OKM and 2 others like this.
  6. KE8OKM

Thursday I hiked up the last 2 miles to Spruce Knob WV 4861’ MSL summit for a SOTA/POTA activation.
    63E5C6EF-FBF0-45F8-AECE-06B847388AFD.jpeg

Last year when I activated Spruce it took me @3 hours to get the 4 QSOs required for points. I was using the FT60R and Rollup Jpole. I’ve since learned a bit!

Spruce Knob WV near summit.
    D4711783-C534-4962-B3C5-41D0972E10AD.jpeg

This trip I used the same HT but with a Arrow 3 element Yagi and logged 7 QSOs in @45 minutes. I also had my FT818 setup on 6m and heard a clear 5/9 from a French station! I tried a couple times but he was busy. Other calls on 6m ssb and FM were met with silence. KI4POT was in OBX listening but no dice (Thx)!

Since Spruce Knob is in the Mohongahela Forest (POTA) I switched my antenna to 20m. There is no cell signal in this area so I was not able to spot myself. I found a clear frequency and made calls in the blind. Fortunately my calls were met quickly and I had 10 QSOs total for the POTA!

Next SOTA summit Gaudineer knob!
    79BFBE89-4532-4BD2-A2E5-BC4D7FAB66EE.jpeg

Eastern West Virginia does not have any roads longer than 20’ that are straight. I made a slow steady serpentine path to my nemesis Gaudineer Knob (last trip 1 QSO!) GK is about an hour drive from Spruce Knob. On this trip despite setting up what I thought was a great QRP station for (2m/6m) and having K8JEP (Thx) notifying VA/WV SOTA’ers I had a grand total of “0” QSOs in 3 hours of calling! It was frustrating because 6m was wide open especially to VT/NH/ME This outing has shown me the Achilles heel of QRP radios on 6m! My feeble signal cannot compete. After packing up I was too beat to drive the couple hours back to the highway on crazy curvy deer infested roads..in the dark so I Jeep camped nearby!

Part 2 coming soon!

Erik
    KE8OKM

F8WBD, K1CWB, US7IGN and 2 others like this.
  7. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

That's true of pretty much the entire state. ;) (First licensed as N8XEE while living in Charleston, WV).

KE8OKM likes this.
  8. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

6meters is a fickle sister! Some times she gives you the world, some times she sends you packing. It is just the nature of 6 meters. If you are really wanting to spend some time on 6 you might have to build yourself a two element portable yagi and see what happens. It still sounds like a great time. In a very beautiful place. One day I might have to activate my Buick “CQ CQ Buicks on the air” And just see how many folks come back to me lol. I am to out of shape to hike.

KE8OKM likes this.
  9. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

What is that protective case you have on the Surface Pro?

10. G0CIQ

G0CIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yesterday evening my YL wanted to practice her guitar playing so I got out the Eantenna 20m EFHW I'd bought out of curiosity last year. I had tried it a few times in the gardens both at work and at home but with the feed point down low near to the radio the SWR was off the scale so this time I hung the transformer box out of an upstairs window, about 15ft above ground, supported the centre of the wire with a fishing pole approx 18ft. and tied the far end to the garden fence (it's a pretty small garden!). I ran the coax (about 25ft.) into the porch and set up the 817. With the elevated feed point, SWR was good (0 or 1 bar on the rig's internal meter) across the band. Had a couple of 5W ssb contacts, with LZ and HG, so it's getting out! I've left it up so I may have another go later perhapswith my 20m QCX, and possibly negotiate to put it up a bit more permanently as I have no antennas up at home at the moment and it would be nice to be able to get on hf without going portable.
    Just a PS...when I tried the EFHW with the feed point down low, while it didn't work on 20m, SWR was good on 40 so I guess it was acting as a quarter wave! Tested it on 40 last night but as expected no match...but I'll have to see what it does on 10! 73, G0CIQ

KC3RN, F8WBD, US7IGN and 1 other person like this.