What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I went out for a SOTA trip today in the hot, hot part of the day here in Southern California. Ugh. However, I got to W6/SC-229 and set up my 20/30 trapped end-fed. I built this recently and the final SWR turned out to be disappointing in that I wanted to be able to use it without a tuner, but in the end it works great with my KX2 as it needs very little tuning to bring it down to 1:1.

I started on 20 meters and got four QSOs fairly quickly, including one S2S. And then, magic happened. I thought I heard another faint S2S but it didn't sound right. I kept hearing a call sign with two numbers together, but I figured I was hearing an H as a 5. But no, after a few repeats it was definitely S57S. As it turns out he is in Slovenia! This is on 10 watts. Crazy. It made my day.

This was my operating position. The blue in the top is the Pacific Ocean.
    IMG_5262.jpg

K1GC, KJ5T, KI5GKD and 7 others like this.
  2. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Dont you just love it when crazy things like that happen? Very nice catch.

AJ6KZ likes this.
  3. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I did my first NAQCC milliwatt sprint last night. I ran my FT-817 at 1/2 watt into my OCFD. I wasn't expecting much, but thought I'd give it a try anyway.

I got a surprise! I was only able to work the first hour (it's a 2 hour sprint), but I managed to make 15 contacts in 11 different states. That's about 10 more than I was expecting... Some of the signals were a lot stronger than I expected. I gave out, and received, several 579 reports, and only one 339 (from Colorado). Not bad for 500 milliwatts in a bad location.

I've been running QRP on and off for a long time, but never less than 2 watts. I was really surprised what 1/2 watt would do.

KJ5T, KE8OKM, WD4ELG and 7 others like this.
  4. AJ6KZ

That is FB! And here I was congratulating myself for doing 5 watts. I'm going to give it a try!

KC3RN likes this.
  5. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully you'll get the same surprise I did. It was really a lot of fun. Would I run super low power all the time? Probably not. I'll go QRO to 5 watts. ;)

I think I was ready for a new challenge. I had been running a lot of digital, and chasing some POTA stations, with 100 watts. Some CW too, but mostly FT-8 and FT-4. But really, after almost 8,000 contacts, that got old. It just became too easy. The excitement was gone. That's why I got into satellites and back into QRP. Yeah, I don't make a contact every time, but when I do it's very rewarding.

KE8OKM, WD4ELG, KC7JNJ and 4 others like this.
  6. KI5GKD

KI5GKD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been running QRP almost exclusively since early this year and have had a blast with it. I had a similar experience when I ran into a 20M pileup and decided to jump in with my mighty 7 watts! I remember thinking there was no way I was going to get through and when the station came back to me I practically fell out of the chair! After completing the contact I logged it into my QRZ log and was gob-smacked when his call came up being in Slovakia, 5356 miles from here! I was running my uBITX V6 into a 40/20 inverted Vee about 30' up in tree.

Since being up at our cabin since early April I think I have only made 2 contacts with my Yaesu FT-707, the rest have been all QRP and the past few weeks I have used my "new" 3 watt uSDX for most of the contacts. It's really fun to hear the disbelief/awe in peoples voices when I tell them I'm talking with 3 watts into a wire! :D

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    K1CWB, KE8OKM, KC7JNJ and 4 others like this.
  7. N8PKN

N8PKN Ham Member QRZ Page

I operated QRP from a Federal Forest campground in the U.P of Michigan June 15-16, had a ball working POTA stations. I worked 11 states and had a QSO into Northern Ireland ! I was running a Yaesu FT-817, and end fed wire cut for 4 meters, through a 49/1 unun. All but one contact was in 20 meters, the last one was on 40 meters . Not too bad for 5W and SSB.

N8PKN

F8WBD, KJ5T, KE8OKM and 6 others like this.
  8. N8PKN

N8PKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Wire was cut for 40 meters, 65 ft, inverted vee over top of a 25 foot fiberglass pole.

N8PKN

AJ6KZ likes this.
  9. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

Haha!

I read the 4m and started thinking “Dang just when I thought I had some of this stuff figured out!”

Today I am bringing my FT818 over to my parents place to do a demonstration of “this ham radio stuff” for my dad who seems interested. They have super high trees! Hopefully I can make some good dx contacts for him.

Erik
    KE8OKM

F8WBD, K1CWB, AJ6KZ and 1 other person like this.
  10. AJ6KZ

Nice! Don't forget to take a technician's license study guide to give him. :)

K5VZD, KE8OKM, KC3RN and 3 others like this.