ad: Amateur-1

What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed!

And if there is any significant distance to hike between the summit and one's vehicle, getting wet in the rain can be life threatening. One doesn't want to flirt with hypothermia. Although rare, it has killed hikers even in summer months. Clumsiness, lack of coordination, and/or confusion can lead to injuries, especially on challenging terrain.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    F8WBD likes this.
  2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

With or without trees for support?
    How portable?

The Eno Housefly is a versatile shelter that you can set up like an A-frame tent, a Baker tent, or like a traditional tarp shelter. But, you'll need two trees or similar anchors (two hiking poles may work if you're creative). It packs down nice and small, about the size of two softballs. That's what I've shown in my hammock camping posts here at QRZ.

There's also a shelter that is popular with the UK SOTA activators for short term use while activating, but I can't recall offhand the name. I do recall it being kind of pricey. I'll try to find it and report back...

Chris

3. KI4POT

Cotton kills. I use a lot of wool and synthetic materials even in the summer, though mainly to increase wicking and drying during the hotter months.

Chris

WN1MB likes this.
  4. KI4POT

@KE8OKM
    I did a quick search and found someone using the Eno HouseFly as a ground-based tent using hiking poles as supports: Transitional Zone: Improvising the Eno HouseFly as a 1-person ground shelter

It looks like it works exactly as I envisioned.

Chris

KE8OKM likes this.
  5. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool. That is what I’ve been looking for. Also looks great for long hikes (SOTA/POTA) where you may get stuck staying overnight unplanned.

I think the guys in UK are using the “Bothy (sp?) bag” if I understand correctly, it’s a big waterproof sleeping bag you operate in with only the coax fed to the antenna protruding.

Erik
    KE8OKM

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    KI4POT likes this.
  6. KI4POT

Bothy bag! That's what I was trying to remember. The pics I've seen make it look like a bit more than a sleeping bag, but yeah it's not a large thing. They're quite expensive for what they are though.

Next time you're out at this end of Skyline Dr, let me know and I'll bring out my HouseFly for you to try out in person (assuming you haven't purchased anything by then).

Chris

KE8OKM likes this.
  7. W0GSQ

W0GSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Tried a couple of CQ’s on 7.112 around 0200GMT but no takers.

8. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Next time try below near 7.030. Usually the propagation is better there)

W0GSQ likes this.
  9. W0GSQ

W0GSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ll remember that.

10. F8WBD

F8WBD Guest

Just worked K2S International Marconi Day station in New York. I was running 5 watts from my beloved noisy old TS-130V to a PAR end-fed. This is the sort of Special Event Station that I appreciate.

WN1MB, KE8OKM and US7IGN like this.