What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

The second day it rains and today I decided to go to the park when it ended for a while.

PXL_20210416_141809456.MP.jpg

When I got to the park it started raining again, i hid under an umbrella. I was cold and wet, but I still made a few QSO.

http://www.us7ign.com/?p=1758

WN1MB, AD5HR, K1CWB and 1 other person like this.
  2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't do much operating yesterday, but I did take the VX-7 and my latest EFHW build out on a bike ride in the Appalachian foothills yesterday. I tossed a line over a convenient branch, hauled the antenna up, and called CQ a half dozen times before packing up and finishing my ride (the wind was picking up and I was under-dressed).
    IMG_20210415_161043252_HDR.jpg

In a flash of brilliance today, I realized I could use my 20' crappie pole (purchased to act as a support for my HF wire in treeless situations) to hoist my antenna when I don't have a convenient tree branch. In this pic, the feedpoint is 3' above my head. There's a lot of sag, but it supports the antenna and feedline. I need to sort out a proper anchoring system.
    IMG_20210416_160108826.jpg

Chris

KE8OKM, W4ZNG and US7IGN like this.
  3. US7IGN

Attach hard the rod to the pedal crank or handlebar of the recumbent bike on proper angle.

4. KI4POT

I believe I confused things a bit by posting both pics together. I wouldn't be using the crappie pole on bike rides. It's 4' long collapsed and But, your point is sound if I did find myself bringing it along on a ride, I would use the bike as a base. :)

I suppose I could lash it to the top tube of the bike for transport, but it will hang out quite far behind.

Chris

5. US7IGN

I have a similar fish rod and it is always in the car. I sometimes use it as a dipole mast. Then I insert a screwdriver into the ground, I put a fishing rod on the screwdriver handle so that the base does not move along the ground, and the top is supported by the antenna's legs as inv.V. I tie their ends to thin metal rods as anchors, which I bought cheaply at a hardware store.

N8AFT and KI4POT like this.
  6. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have also used an umbrella before but...if it’s windy!?! I am looking for a super light shelter/tent that sets up fast. If anyone can make a recommendation? I have done a couple of SOTA/high spot activations worrying on the way up about the possibility of rain. I’ve been lucky so far with rain starting after I complete the activation.

I am also eager to get my hands on a (water resistant) Lab 599 TX-500!

Erik
    KE8OKM

7. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

**Why not just get a barrel adapter and add additional coax? Or, cut the existing coax short, crimp on a female connector of your choosing, and then use standard coax jumpers. I do this with my jpole/slim-jim antennas.**

Funny I really didn’t consider adding another section of RG8 as simple as the idea is. I didn’t think of it. I finally broke my N9TAX antenna hastily pulling it off a branch on Apple Orchard Mt with rain starting. I pulled the ladder line out of the 2m/70cm junction. I’m on the road working until Tuesday and have no tools to fix it. The antenna has been a real workhorse with over 100 deployments over the past 10 months.

About connections between coax/antennas. Is there a significant loss of dB between coax with multiple connectors vs 1 uninterrupted length?

Erik
    KE8OKM

8. KI4POT

Conventional wisdom is that there is, but I saw a test some time ago where a guy made a transmission line with nothing but connectors and adapters and saw little or no loss. IMO, a decent barrel connector or two is not likely to be an issue in an otherwise well designed and implemented system.

Chris

KE8OKM and US7IGN like this.
  9. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I strongly suspect that there would be more loss in cheap coax cable than good quality connectors and adapters themselves.

KE8OKM and US7IGN like this.
  10. US7IGN

Getting wet in the rain and freezing is not fun for me. I prefer then to be already in the back seat of the car.