ad: Schulman-1

What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

In some areas it's more productive than HF. The summits near Skyline Drive are like that. With I81 being such a major highway, many summits in the Shenandoah Valley are also good for VHF FM. All things you know already, this is more for the other folks.

BTW, I keep talking myself out of buying an Arrow Yagi. I might have to break down and buy one.

Chris

WD4ELG and KE8OKM like this.
  2. KI4POT

And I broke down. After working a guy up on Skyline the other evening who was using a yagi with 5w to reach me here in Manassas (a 50 mile shot) like he was just down the street, I couldn't stand it anymore. :rolleyes:

Chris

KE8OKM, WD4ELG and US7IGN like this.
  3. K1GC

K1GC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Out for my first POTA of the year at K-0001 from the top of Penobscot Mountain. CW at 5W and SSB @ 6W. Only 5 CW contacts, but 23 SSB including one with Scotland. Nice to have warm weather again.

20210409_141634.jpg

US7IGN, KE8OKM, WN1MB and 2 others like this.
  4. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

5 fun QRP SOTA activations in VA the past two days with the FT818 running 5w! As KI4POT wrote, lots of hams in the area make activating VHF a blast. I managed two 6m QSOs also. One was prearranged with KI4POT who was on another summit about 60 miles away! The other was a random CQ call answered (a first for me on SOTA activation) I also had a prearranged 2m QSO with another SOTA activator 95 miles away. We both read a true 5/9.

Favorite picture of trip.

C5DF3BEA-7ABA-4001-8DD1-4135433F8C46.jpeg
    From the creativity named “High Knob” fire-tower on the VA/WVA border.

Erik
    KE8OKM

W4ZNG, WN1MB, KC3RN and 3 others like this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Modes breakdown? Do any SSB?

6. W4ZNG

W4ZNG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Played radio on the High Bluff Trail in Tate's Hell State Forest on the northern Gulf coast of FL today. Only tried PSK-31 on 20m & 40m, and the ionosphere was in rough shape. Two hours, zero contacts. Everything stateside was up-and-down, too fast to get a QSO in. There were a few big guns booming in from Europe on 20m. I tried answering back, but no dice.

Still, it was a nice spring day and a really nice hike. Pics at the blog: http://coyoteswamp.blogspot.com/2021/04/another-day-another-hike.html

I've been using PSKer on my iPhone these last few trips. It generally works well but is a little cumbersome. FLDIGI on the laptop is a lot smoother and it is faster on the reply, which would be good in these varying conditions. 3 more net pounds to haul, however. Probably worth it.

Anyway, it was a successful day of hiking.

KE8OKM likes this.
  7. KI4POT

Which antenna were you using? The yagi?
    BTW, great pic!

Chris

8. KE8OKM

I am trying to get 1000 points all VHF so mostly FM. I have tried 2m/6m ssb several times but have had “0” QSOs but I’ll still keep trying.

Erik
    KE8OKM

W4ZNG likes this.
  9. KE8OKM

Yes the firetower activation sunset was stunning and one of the reasons I love SOTA. I would probably never visit these places otherwise!

Since I am always rushing in VA in order to make the most of my time I generally use the N9TAX roll up jpole (fantastic antenna).
    I have the 10’ feed line version but will order the 16’ version in order to get it higher.

The Arrow Yagi gets pulled out if I can’t get 4 QSOs on the activation using the jpole. It has made the difference on several activations.

The Yagi can definitely reach out farther and I have noticed it reduces QRM (front end overload) on a high RF summit. The downside of the Yagi is assembling it and finding a means to support it. I know you have a VX7R. One thing I have done with my VX6R is use a speaker mike with the radio dangling from the Yagi support hand but you have to record QSOs or set it all down to log.

I have a 5’ pvc pipe with a T adapter on the end that doubles as a hiking pole. I can usually jam it in a bush or rocks. This will support the Yagi. Still working on a ideal quick setup!

“73”

Erik
    KE8OKM

10. KI4POT

I've lived near Skyline Drive for over 20 years, but it took SOTA to get me out there.

Why not just get a barrel adapter and add additional coax? Or, cut the existing coax short, crimp on a female connector of your choosing, and then use standard coax jumpers. I do this with my jpole/slim-jim antennas.

I'm glad to hear it helps with QRM. My VX7 is susceptible to front end overload, so I try to use my IC-V8 for those sites. I'll be good to have another option. I have the speaker mic for my VX-7, so I'll give that a try. I generally log with Pylogjam on a mobile phone, so I can get by with one handed logging (one shouldn't log one handed too much as it can cause blindness).

I considered that as well as clamping it to the 2nd section of my crappie pole (that also gets used to raise wire EFHWs).

Chris

KE8OKM likes this.