What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Wlad, are those WW 2 artifacts?

2. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

A large sleeve is most likely yes, and small ones may be later. I found all this in different places.

3. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some days it seems like I could make more contacts with a metal detector. Interesting find with the coin!

Hey! You have replaced your paddle!

4. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but I don't like it. Its only advantage is that it is strong even if you step on it. My paper clip key is always with me anyway)

In fact, I bought it to motivate children to be more physically active and ride with me, but they are not interested. They prefer smartphones. Therefore, I now have one more hobby)

AJ6KZ likes this.
  5. W4ZNG

W4ZNG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KE8OKM likes this.
  6. KF9VV

KF9VV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

POTA activation at Natural Bridge State Park in south central Wisconsin. I was a hundred yards away from the spot where that picture to the left was taken!

Nice time, once I got spotted things really got going. 25 QSO in 40 minutes.

It just amazes me what 5 Watts can do with a little help from a spotting network.

KE8OKM, W4ZNG and AJ6KZ like this.
  7. AJ6KZ

Isn’t that the truth? It’s somewhat exasperating to know what is easily possible yet so often nobody is on the bands. Perhaps it’s just because I’m a relatively new ham that I think like that, however.

F8WBD likes this.
  8. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yesterday I Activated A new SOTA point in the W3! W3/PT-011 Pondfield 2 Benchmark.

Pretty cool day. I woke up to the sunrise in Naples FL and watched it set from a mountain top in PA. 7 QSOs in 1.5 hours of calling using my FT818 and Rollup-JPole on 2m/70cm. 1 QSO was with a new ham making their first Simplex QSO! I put out a couple CQs on 6m FM but nada peep.

E07D5BEA-86F9-4177-880D-BDAA83CAC897.jpeg

Planning some fun activating this coming week!

Erik
    KE8OKM

US7IGN, W4ZNG, KF9VV and 1 other person like this.
  9. AJ6KZ

That seems like a lot of work to get those contacts! Are there just not that many hams chasing? And what a fun place to operate from...

10. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes indeed it is! QRP VHF SOTA is a niche within a niche. I made a goal to obtain Mountain Goat (1000 points) all VHF I just passed 500 points. I have activated several mountains that were previously devoid of any 2m/70cm activity. My main “tool” other than FT818 is my Arrow 3 element Yagi but on this activation I left my Support at home. It would definitely added to the QSO count. My latest project is going to be letting the IC705 call FT8 6m while I work simultaneously 2m/70cm FM.

When I started SOTA last summer in Colorado there were many chasers and picking up 5-10 QSOs in under 10 minutes was pretty easy. Many hams on the front range chase VHF activators, most hams in PA have no clue what I’m doing (because so few do it!)

Some of the more remote areas in PA would take all day if at all in obtaining 4 QSOs VHF/QRP.

I really enjoy getting up on mountains and calling on the VHF bands. It’s definitely a labor of love!

Erik
    KE8OKM

AJ6KZ likes this.