What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Woo hoo! A great SOTA day on W6/CT-019, San Gabriel Peak. Went with KS6PKY and going through the bands I logged 35 QSOs, including 4 S2S QSOs. I used the KX2 for most of it, but at the end I busted out my KX1 and snagged 2 of the S2S QSOs with it on 30 meters. What a day. KS6PKY logged 40!

KI4POT likes this.
  2. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Lane, check the driver tube (12BY7). It's probably going south...

3. W4ZNG

W4ZNG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

US7IGN and KE8OKM like this.
  4. AJ6KZ

Sorry to hear about your dearth of QSOs. What is a little frustrating to me is that if you do SOTA and spot yourself you can usually get a pile up of people trying to contact you. In these situations I have gotten as far as France and Spain on 5 Watts. And this was just a couple of months ago. It always makes me wonder, if this is possible where are all the hams hiding all the time? Do people really only turn on the radio if there is a contest or contest-like activity?

F8WBD and W4ZNG like this.
  5. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, TNX! Have one...

KC3RN likes this.
  6. W4ZNG

W4ZNG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You have a point, there are some hams who are all about contesting and disappear in between events. And that's OK, ham radio is anything an operator wants it to be. I think though that's a small minority of hams, and it was just a poor ionosphere yesterday. With only one or two traces at a time on the 20m PSK waterfall instead of the usual dozen+, it was just a rough day.

7. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

My observation is that self-spotting or calling "CQ POTA" gets me more attention than "CQ SOTA" even in the same location with the same equipment. It's odd because I thought SOTA was the more widespread program. The only other thing that comes to mind is POTA activators tend to run more power and better antennas (don't need to be as portable), so people are more willing to "chase".

Regarding the contest thing, yeah, I've noticed that too. Bands that are ghost towns outside of contests turn into chaos. 146.52 & 446.00 FM was like that last weekend during the VA QSO Party.

Chris

8. AJ6KZ

You're calling from a SOTA summit that is also one of the POTA parks?

9. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. Lots of those up on Skyline Dr (Shenandoah National Park) and George Washington & Jefferson National Forest. Presumably there would be a number on the AT too, but in this area any summits on the AT are also contained in other parks or WMAs. There are lots of overlaps in this region.

Because the exchanges are the same, you can call CQ SOTA & POTA and get credit for both programs in a single contact.

I did this last weekend when I activated Johnnie's Knob and the GW&J NF. I spotted on SOTA first and after calling without much success on HF (I did manage two 6m FM contacts, but they weren't SOTA or POTA chasers), I self-spotted for POTA, at which point the contacts started rolling in.

Chris

AJ6KZ likes this.
  10. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

K7WFM, AD5HR, AJ6KZ and 1 other person like this.