What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked a few POTA stations as /Pedestrian-Mobile (KX2 with MFJ-1820t) at the Manassas National Battlefield Park (American Civil War battlefield for you folks not in the US) while waiting for @KE8OKM to get on the air. :)

I managed a 35mile QSO at 5w with KE8OKM using my VX-7 and a cheap TWAYRDIO RH770 half-wave antenna. That antenna works better than it should and looks ridiculous on the little VX-7.

I tried to work PZ2YT, who was calling CQ DX /QRP and coming in like he was QRO, but no dice.

Great day for outdoor radio. Warm, slight breeze, sunny, what more can you ask for?

Chris

WD4ELG, US7IGN and AJ6KZ like this.
  2. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was trying to remember where you were. Super cool my first QSO to a Battlefield! Much appreciation for listening for me! I had a great time activating SNP peaks this week.

Today I ended up in SLC area and was able to get a quick QRP VHF SOTA activation in.

Driving up to “View Benchmark” Wasatch Range In background.
    AADAC0A6-5FE3-481F-A756-EB420AB179C4.jpeg

1.2 mile hike up to summit!
    05BAC9A8-2472-4520-A735-B9770A0CE454.jpeg

Salt Lake City down below!
    17B6E9AB-2987-4051-A9B3-8F04A97E39CF.jpeg

Successful activation on 2m with the FT818!

AJ6KZ, KI4POT and US7IGN like this.
  3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

No problem. I wanted to see if we could do it with just HTs.
    It was good talking to you (and twice more the next day!) You had strong signals the entire time.

From my house to your two activations the next day was 44 and 46 miles IIRC. I was still using an HT, but connected to a 2m base antenna on a mast just above the gutter on my house (26' up), but behind the roof in relation to the SNP. Yesterday I worked W4MAF as he activated Hazeltop, 55 miles away. However, he was using QRO and a beam, so it was a bit different.

Point is, I can harass you from the comfort of my own home now! :p

Awesome pics. The SLC one looks like the SW VA town my wife is from. It's nestled in a valley and when you view it from one of the surrounding mountains at night, you see the same thing.

Chris

KE8OKM likes this.
  4. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Today was my first winter-like activation! My friend and I went to Josephine Peak (W6/CT-025) and trudged up through a bit of snow to the activation zone. Once there it started to snow lightly and the clouds started moving in. Goodbye sun and hello wind. Just as I was getting ready to start we heard thunder, which really got our attention. We kept a close eye on conditions and continued to set up.

Thanks to a metal post already there I was able to set up fairly quickly with my mast and linked dipole. I spotted myself using APRS2SOTA on 30 meters and was off and running. Just ten QSOs later, however, I was feeling so chilled I decided to call it a day right there. Fortunately my friend felt the same way. But we made our activation!

My operating position. KX2 (5 Watts), SOTABeams linked dipole.
    W6-CT025.jpg

KE8OKM, KI4POT and US7IGN like this.
  5. W0GSQ

W0GSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a short QSO with Vern, AI8V on 40m a couple of hours ago till QSB took over.
    I was using a Heathkit HW-9 three watts out, antenna a Hustler 6BTV ground mounted with 30 radials. Vern has a great fist.

KC7JNJ, AJ6KZ and F8WBD like this.
  6. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Today I managed to make only one but interesting QSO with Alexander 4O/UA9JNV from Budva. It was QRP-QRP with the practically same devices. His MTB5 and my PFR-5.

IMG_20210320_140147.jpg

http://www.us7ign.com/?p=1723

WD4ELG, KE8OKM and AJ6KZ like this.
  7. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

The last few posts featured snow.

Here's something different, coming out of our wind-down of summer.

It's a warm sultry morning threatening to rain.

On the morning of the field day contest I'm walking to the local beach carrying a fishing pole.

My bag contains a 1970s transistor radio and a 2 transistor 7 MHz VXO CW transmitter. Output about 5 watts.

With this setup one is thankful to get even a few contacts. Do I have any luck? Watch and find out!

KE8OKM, US7IGN and F8WBD like this.
  8. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You are the MacGyver of ham radio. :) Marvelous...

9. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked Jim W1PID in New Hampshire CW on 40m agn tday.
    Jim is a FB QRP CW op I've worked many time over the past 8 yrs.
    Always good to hook up ala QRP x2 QSO's...

AJ6KZ likes this.
  10. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems my TS-530 has become a QRP rig now on its' own tday.
    Max output is 40 watts. So I'll make the most of it and use it as a full feature QRP rig here. ;)