What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KD5TXX

KD5TXX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I’m iced/snowed in. Luckily my PAR EF is still up. In light of the fact that we were expecting power outages I charged all my QRP rigs and brought them into the basement. I’ve been having fun using my KX2 which is fairly new to me, and my HB1B. Made multiple contacts each day. It makes the workday pass easier when you have a QRP rig on the desk.

2. F8WBD

F8WBD Guest

Worked VE3KZ today on 20 meters cw. Running 5 watts from the TS-130V to a Par ef20 wire. Bob had a 4 element which certainly helped.

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

A couple of nice CW contacts on 40 and 30 this morning with the Ten Tec Argonaut V. Been on the shelf for a time and it needed a workout. A fun little rig to operate. Yesterday afternoon worked K1OK mobile in Portland, Me on 40 CW with another old rig off the shelf a Yaesu FT-301SD around the same output as the Ten Tec. K1OK was mostly 589-599 from his mobile set-up as seen on his QRZ page.

4. KI5GKD

KI5GKD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, the weather finally cleared up a bit and DHL worked up the courage to drive a few miles and deliver my uBITX V6.1 goodie box from India. I had it cabled together in a few minutes and was able to receive OOTB. This afternoon I did the BFO and freq alignments and also re-set the PA bias. Late afternoon I made a contact in Boulder Colorado (672 miles), I was amazed that <10 watts would make it that far!

KC7JNJ and K1CWB like this.
  5. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wont be long and you will be working folks down under.

6. KI5GKD

I doubt that but if the Sun Spots start smiling on us, who knows!?

7. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

That's excellent, you might be pleasantly surprised how much further you can get with a little patience. Even with less than optimal conditions last year I worked New Zealand for the first time (only time actually) with 6 watts SSB from MA. No doubt I was weak but totally copy-able 9000 miles away. Maybe it was a once in a lifetime contact but I do routinely get into Europe with 5 watts. I didn't purposely get into QRP operations but I've had a blast this this past year working my share of contacts with low power.

8. KI5GKD

I live in town with a power line right behind my shop so my noise floor is pretty high. I am anxious to get this up to our off-grid cabin and see what I can do from atop our little mountain!

9. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I do a lot of portable operating in support of my SOTA addiction. I've multiple cross-continent contacts on 10w SSB and a few DX contacts into Europe (Finland, France, and Germany) from Virginia. Actually, Finland was on 5w. Antennas are either simple wire EF (halfwave or random wire) or little MFJ base-loaded whips (MFJ-1820t). I think you'll be pleasantly surprised what a few watts and some patience can do (as I just now see K1CWB said almost verbatim :D).

Chris

AJ6KZ, K1CWB and F8WBD like this.
  10. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hill-Topping with FT818/VHF/5W and a Rollup-Jpole from my county Highpoint. I had several nice QSOs up to 40 miles away on simplex and got into a repeater 85 miles away with a good signal. Not to shabby for the small hills of Ohio!
    6EB03C4B-808E-4F83-825E-873BF0AC027C.jpeg
    Portage County Ohio Highpoint ~1300MSL

KE8OKM

AJ6KZ, K1CWB and US7IGN like this.