ad: cq2k-1

What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing spectacular but I called CQ using 1 watt today, for about 25 minutes:
    W8KJP, 20m CW, 569 report, Ohio to FL
    KA2KJP, 40m CW, 599 report, Ohio to upstate NY

US7IGN likes this.
  2. KI5CAW

KI5CAW Ham Member QRZ Page

I checked out 20 meters hoping for a WES contact. A Washington State ham was 10 over 9 so I answered using my homebrew 1 watt 2 transistor TX. Wham! He came right back and we swapped numbers. Then he faded to 329 and didn't come back for round 2 - if his 100 watts faded that far I'm sure my 1 watt disappeared too! But hey - 1000 miles per watt!

N1OOQ, KD8ZM and US7IGN like this.
  3. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP SOTA adventure. Back to Virginia! Continuing my pursuit to 1000 points for SOTA mountain goat status I “activated“ 3 mountains in Virginia earlier this week.
    First up,
    47382CA0-569D-4AD1-92E1-BAAF0DC442E4.jpeg
    Short Mountain (5.5 miles RT)
    Arrow Yagi and 5W FT60R.

Next across the valley from short mountain,
    7844831B-647F-407E-9E85-9DA317178B74.jpeg
    Waonaze Peak (3.8 miles RT) I arrived on top after dark. I lit up the area with a couple lights I brought. Off in the distance were dozens of eyes reflecting back at me! Let me tell you. That makes you feel alive!!!

The following morning I hiked, Kennedy Peak.
    97C63C56-2B8A-4C41-8750-557FADFD8F28.jpeg
    View from Kennedy Peak VA. (5 miles RT)

On Kennedy I used my Signal Stick for the first 4QSOs and hung up the Jpole for the rest. I accumulated 27 points for these 3 mountains and met some great hams FM simplex!

Its amazing what the little Yaesu 5W HT can do with some altitude!

KD8ZM and US7IGN like this.
  4. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going to start leaving notes for you. :D

We worked Waonaze on the 2nd, Short on the 17th, and Dickey on the 19th. I used 2m FM and HF on Waonaze, 2m and 6m FM on Short, and 2m FM on Dickey. All 5w HTs for the VHF FM work. HF was via my KX2. The summits on Skyline are VHF friendly. We're probably going to focus on HT-based FM work this year as it's as productive as using HF but less hassle. I want to put my VX-7r's 6m capability to work too.

I saw you on SOTA Tracker on the 19th working one of the summits, but we weren't close enough to pick you up on FM (closer to NoVA at that point).

We may go down Skyline this weekend or maybe just work Blue Mtn since it's nearby.

BTW, how did you get to the top of Short Mtn? The official hike is overly long, but I found a decent route up if you don't mind a steep walk that isn't on a trail. I can send you the GPS coordinate for the entry point. From there, you just follow game trails to a saddle on the ridge, pick up the main trail, and walk a bit to the summit. Much faster than the route that takes you to the end of the ridge...

Chris

KD8ZM likes this.
  5. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

That’s awesome! I am loving that area. So many great hikes and with relative close metro areas VHF QRP is pretty reliable. The area is a 5hr trip from my QTH in Ohio so I can get a couple summits in with a overnight in Luray. Pennsylvania is questionable right now for activating (CV19 travel restrictions) so it has forced me to seek the next closest area N. VA and it was a blessing. I love it!

Here is my track up Short Mountain.
    74DDDD3C-C477-4C63-8670-ACF9BE617FB2.png
    I did think about cutting off a large part of the hike where it almost comes back on itself. But as you probably know it’s a cliff.

Anyway I think my next trip in a couple weeks I am going to try Mill Mt and Devils Benchmark. I’ll stay in Sugar Knob cabin and hopefully I can bring my 15, 17 year old daughters on that adventure.

“73”
    Erik

KD8ZM likes this.
  6. KI4POT

The Shenandoah Valley is one of my favorite regions in VA. I learned about Short and Waonaze by going out there for the OHV trails. I've taken my 4Runner down the Peters Mill trail twice.

Good luck on getting your daughters out. I have two (12 and 17). They have no interest. Ping me when you plan to activate a summit, I might be able to get out to Blue Mtn or one of the Skyline Drive summits near Front Royal and do a S2S. Also, there's a SOTA Appalachia group on FB. Join that one and you can coordinate with others in the region. We had a big VA SOTA QSO party the weekend after New Years Day (when I did Waonaze) and racked up a pile of S2Ss all over.

You took the long way up Short. You're right, if you go up straight from where you parked, there's a cliff. You need to drive further down the forest road to where it is closest to the summit, then a bit further. There's a low spot on the mountain and lots of clear game trails up to that low point (some steep hiking, but no climbing). Once you hit the trail up top, turn right and walk for about a quarter mile. We found that route on the way DOWN. We went up a different route and hit rocky terrain that was nearly a cliff. It was tough going, but we made it up. Even with that climb it was faster than the long route. :) Yeah, I'm a bit of a mountain goat. :D

Next time, start here: 38.77268 -078.54030

Chris

KE8OKM and KD8ZM like this.
  7. KI4POT

Went to a local park to day to activate it for POTA. I took along my VX-7r and MFJ 6m j-pole. I called CQ on 52.525 FM for 30 minutes without a single response. At least it was nice out. Temps were in the mid 50s.

Antenna hanging from tree:
    IMG_20210121_151555553_HDR.jpg

My radio (sorry for the blur, my phone focused on the ground instead of the radio):
    IMG_20210121_151605633_HDR.jpg

Chris

K7WFM and KE8OKM like this.
  8. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

1400 mile contact today to Alaska using 4W from my home base doublet that's marginal on 20M(my 20M vertical is on the Fritz). Signals faded after QSO info was exchanged. I've been off the air for months. It seems HF band conditions are improving.

9. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Above contact was on 17M. LOL

10. KI4POT

K7WFM and WD4ELG like this.