What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I use 17m all the time but never knew there was anything other than digital stuff above 18.100, now I'll need to listen to that tomorrow. Worked a couple of European stations this morning but on 18.084 and 18.079.
    Brady

AJ6KZ likes this.
  2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Went out to a local WMA to test my new QRPGuys 40-10 UnUnTenna to do a little POTA/SOTA chasing. I set it up with a 41' radiator and 35' counterpoise (per their suggestion). It tunes up nicely on all supported bands, but signal reports while using the 35' counterpoise weren't as good as previous excursions to this location with other antennas. I replaced the counterpoise with a 17' one as indicated by other users and the signal reports improved. Could be a fluke, could be band conditions between the various points, could be nothing at all, but the shorter counterpoise will be quicker to wind up, so I'll go with that.

Chris

KD8ZM and AJ6KZ like this.
  3. KD8ZM

Worked Wales (GW0TAU) on 20m CW just now from Ohio, poor signal report (559) but we did it.

AJ6KZ likes this.
  4. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How is 559 a poor signal report? :)

N8AFT likes this.
  5. KD8ZM

Well, it's one of the poorer ones I've received lately. I suppose people are probably overly generous with signal reports, from what I've heard! lol

AJ6KZ likes this.
  6. KD8ZM

160m: I camped out on 1813.5 for a half hour and called CQ with 5 watts CW, from my Ohio QTH, logging:
    • W5ZR in Louisiana, 579.
    • W4DAN in TN, 459.
    • K8WU in Michigan, 599.
    I have never tried QRP on 160 meters before, seems to work OK. Doesn't seem like there is much activity on any band tonight, for some reason, so I am happy with this.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    KI4POT and AJ6KZ like this.
  7. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP going down to 8mW on SSB on 80m. Over about 200km to RF quiet island location.

US7IGN and AJ6KZ like this.
  8. KD8ZM

I watched that video last night, Peter. Amazing! I sometimes use 100 mW on CW and I thought that was amazing enough, but this is a whole different level of amazing!

AJ6KZ likes this.
  9. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hunted some Parks On The Air stations earlier this evening with some pretty poor conditions but managed to get a few logged on 40 meters. Then did some band hopping later to find that 10 meters was open but fading. Called CQ on 28.400 for a few minutes and actually had a couple stations come back to my call. One was readable (station in KY) but the other I couldn't fully copy the call sign. Just having fun with 5 watts and a wire.

KD8ZM and AJ6KZ like this.
  10. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked some HAs on 40 with the EK-1C and a ZS6BKW. May put a K1 on later and see what I can find on 80.
    Mike N3PM

KD8ZM likes this.