What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If I only had an antenna that long...

N8AFT likes this.
  2. KN4YHP

KN4YHP Ham Member QRZ Page

67B778D9-9D59-47B1-A895-AB0E8393B8EE.jpeg 5AEAE9EB-950E-419A-83BC-AABB38C730E7.jpeg Had a great portable to portable qso with Brian (N4API) from the beach the other day. FT 818 and a mfj big stick just feet from the Gulf of Mexico. Perfect!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    US7IGN and AJ6KZ like this.
  3. AJ6KZ

Oh, wow, that looks like a great place to kick back and have some radio fun.

KN4YHP likes this.
  4. KN4YHP

KN4YHP Ham Member QRZ Page

Its like operating in a beer commercial hi hi!

AJ6KZ likes this.
  5. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is based on relative elevation in that association. I drove up to West Virginia’s highest point Spruce Knob and walked 5 minutes on flat ground to activate for 10 points. Then there is GrayRock Mountain in Colorado 8 mile round trip 1,400’ elevation gain and some legit class 5.2 last 200’ (I soloed but was very confident in my ability) for 1 point because it’s < 9000’ it’s all good I love activating it’s not really about the points.

AJ6KZ likes this.
  6. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked IZ0XZD (Italy) this morning on 18.084 CW, from Ohio.
    Also just worked F8DGY on 18.069 CW.
    Using 5 watts on my end.
    17 meters has been open every day lately to Europe, as I'm sure most of you are aware.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    AJ6KZ, N1OOQ and KN4YHP like this.
  7. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Went on an overnight hammock camping trip in WV last night. I did a little pedestrian-mobile with my KX2 and netted a POTA contact in Minnesota. I set up the wire antenna this morning, but didn't make any contacts (it was fairly early and I didn't feel like joining any nets). Later, on the way home, my buddy and I stopped off at the Tuscarora Trail on the VA/WV border and scoped it out for some hunting season camp sites. While walking the trail, I got set up again for pedestrian mobile and tried to work the WWI special event station. No luck there.

Pic of my operating position this morning:

radio.jpg

Chris

AJ6KZ, KN4YHP and KD8ZM like this.
  8. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

COOL!

AJ6KZ and KI4POT like this.
  9. AJ6KZ

No, not at all, as a matter of fact. I have yet to make a contact on 17 meters, so I'm going to start paying more attention. I've only been doing this for about a year-and-a-half and I have lots of "firsts" to accomplish.

KD8ZM likes this.
  10. AJ6KZ

This weekend a friend and I went out to find an interesting place in the local Angeles National Forest. Road closure due to recent fires kept us from going where we wanted to go, but we found a nice hilltop to set up for a bit of fun. I wanted to give my friend the bulk of the time to use my rig to try some FT8 stuff, because that interests him. He managed to get contacts south and east to Texas as well as the east coast on 5 watts.

There wasn't a lot of time left over but I got on 20 meters and managed to make one contact, but it was pretty local. However, it turned out to be a very interesting contact indeed. I didn't realize it, but I had answered the CQ of an OP on the Battleship Iowa, located in Los Angeles harbor! The call sign is NI6BB. It was a short but very nice QSO and I packed up with a feeling of satisfaction.

Fire damage. In the center of the picture all that light area is just ash.
    IMG_4375.png

Our operating position. Recently bulldozed to restore/improve the fire break. You can still see the tread marks. We used an old power pole stump as a point to lash the mast for the SOTABeams 40-30-20 dipole.
    IMG_4388.png

KD8ZM and N1OOQ like this.