What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

More Back Yard Expedition Files;
    I'm considering a "camp-out" in the bk yard tnite. The 160m vert is adjacent to my campsite and
    will work FB on 20-30 and 40m as well as top band. Rig is the G-90 and LiFePo batt.
    A great opportunity to try a new tent and air mattress... Overnight temp of 55f is forecast.
    Heat will be the three candle UCO Candle Lantern which delivers 5k BTU for 8+ hours of burn time.
    No mic abuse will be involved... :p
    Now, whars that can opener? Whar's those matches?

AJ6KZ likes this.
  2. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent weather after cold and rains motivated to go out of town on a picnic to fry fish.
    Today, just in case, I picked up the radio, but forgot to pre-charge it, so I was able to make only one QRP-QRP QSO with YO2BP/P at 10MHz before it turned off.
    Red fish with white wine were excellent!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WW2PT, N1OOQ, AJ6KZ and 2 others like this.
  3. N8AFT

Dug out my Oak Hills Radio collection this morning...
    Have a rare 80-40-30-20m OHR-400 going and worked W1DV, Dave in NC. on 80.
    He said "you QRP guys blow me away" what a great complement!

AJ6KZ likes this.
  4. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Today I hiked to a peak intending to try a SOTA activation. I screwed up my prep for SOTA but I ended up having a nice QSO standing on the top of Josephine Peak in California. My wire antenna blew down three times and since I had the AX1 in the kit I decided to give it a try. I called CQ a number of times with no effect and then I bumped the power up to 10 watts. And then I made a contact! N0KKY in Denver, about 840 miles away on 20 meters, and a good signal at that. Quite rewarding to finally get some use out of that AX1.

Oh, question for you SOTA experts. Can I make the one QSO I had count for an activation? I didn't even have the SOTA designator (I had counted on cell reception at the top). Does the activation have to be with a registered chaser? I couldn't glean that from the rules.

US7IGN likes this.
  5. F8WBD

F8WBD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have returned to 10 watts or less cw which was my operating mode from the mid 1980's until fairly recently. A K1 and an old TS-120V are now on the desk. QRP QSOs into NA are rare these days and a very low Par EF20 wire doesn't help. Therefore, I have re-defined my personal definition of "DX". It is, essentially, confined to UK and Continental contacts. Rarely do I not make a two-way contact over here even with those constraints but it now takes 5 watts and not 1 watt. I appreciate the RBN and do show up there as captured by a few east coast stations, but snr numbers are on the very low side. Sometimes even Euro monitors reports are not too much better.

At age 80, I hope conditions improve soon.

You get my drift.

72 and be well.
    |

US7IGN, WW2PT, KC3JIN and 1 other person like this.
  6. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

A man only gets so many solar cycles, it’s true. At age 80, I think you oughta write a memoir. I’d read it.

My experience is a lot like yours. Must have realistic expectations at low power. I built a telescoping vertical and my expectations changed from “got out a little” to “got out a little and once in a blue moon get wayyyyyy out.” But rarely.

AJ6KZ and F8WBD like this.
  7. AJ6KZ

I do, too. But I got into this hobby only recently (a year ago) and so all I know is terrible conditions. For me it's only going to get better for the next few years no matter how lousy this cycle is. :)

KD8ZM and F8WBD like this.
  8. N8AFT

I too hv had to lower expectations and raise output power because of the realities of poor prop w/o sunspots and noise.
    I've been using EFHW ants at my second QTH and my initial opinions of them have been realized by using two.
    These are indeed only compromise antennas that don't hear well, esp the under 132' long versions.
    A 31' vert is easier/as easy to deploy and works much better. (I'm replacing my two EFHW's asap.)
    A simple dipole inv vee is a much better antenna and many are very compact es light weight now. But we all know that.

F8WBD likes this.
  9. AJ6KZ

Yesterday I took another shot at a SOTA activation. And mostly failed. I did manage to activate W6/CT021 (Vetter Mountain in Southern California) but my operating skills need a lot of improvement. I only managed to make three contacts and even those didn't feel that great. One of them as NL1BYZ, which I recognized as being very different, but I had no idea until I got back to internet connectivity to discover that the OP is supposedly in New Zealand. It's hard to believe, but I am sure about that call sign.

The set up was a KX2 (10 watts) into a SOTABeams 20/40 linked dipole. Mostly I have been using a random wire, but it was nice to hook up to a plain old dipole and see 1:1 SWR without a tuner. :)

10. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

I am fairly confident you worked ZL1BYZ, NL1ZYB is not a current callsign.
    Club Log shows you have one QSO with ZL1ZYB on 20M.

AA8NN and AJ6KZ like this.