What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

YES! 12m SpiderPole is THE way to go! That top section is much thicker and more resilient than Jackite or MFJ's.
    Super Low Cost too for what you get.
    Also the Kevlar guy line is a super item!
    It's sold in two lengths and guages. 1 es 2mm dia, 50 es 100m. rolls.

AJ6KZ likes this.
  2. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I felt a little stupid paying the extra $10 for the glued-in eyelet in the top section, but I will say it was worth it. Now I'm never without an attachment point because there is room in the tube to keep a little s-clip attached. And they do a solid job of cementing the eyelet in place.

The Kevlar line sounds worth checking out. For backyard use I also made a base that screws into the umbrella stand (75 lbs.) that we already had. The blue collar is a spacer I printed to keep the top centered in the tube. The bottom rubber cap fits in almost without a gap. I use a level to make sure the tube is as perfectly perpendicular to the ground as I can get it and the result is quite good. I even put an Arrow Yagi on it (with the very top section removed). Not sure I would use it in a stiff breeze, however. :)

spider_base.jpg

3. N8AFT

Here's neat hint; Stainless steel key rings, they are easy to find and come in vy small sizes. Loop one thru that eyelet...
    It will be a larger es less drag feed thru for your ant wire... I hv all my poles fitted with them.
    It will help keep the pole in a more vertical position. ;)

4. N8AFT

I enjoyed a QRPp QSO with John, K8JD, near Detroit on 80 last night.
    I was running a watt using the G90 and dublet from my QTH...

AJ6KZ likes this.
  5. N8AFT

That's a great reuse for that 75lb base! Could make small square steel spokes to expand its stability even more.
    Small dia black or galvanized pipe also would work well...

6. AJ6KZ

This is what I use...

s_clip.jpg

But I'm curious about what you mean by "drag." I just clip the end of the wire to this and then hoist it up.

7. N8AFT

Mine is an Inv L so I hv wire going from gnd level, up and over to other supports.
    My wire "floats" by being loose inside the key rings as the mast sways with the breeze.
    I feed wire through key ring then push up the mast to full extension.

AJ6KZ likes this.
  8. N8AFT

Sundy 5/31. Had QSO with Lloyd, KB2FSB, on 3555 who was running 100w CW. I was at 15.
    He found out how little diff there was in signal strength when I dropped to 12 then 8w.
    This got him thinking and then, best of all, playing along!
    Wasn't vy long at all til he went to 5w and RST569 from Palmyra NY to Columbus Ohio.
    I like to get guys to QRP as a trial when I encounter those who are experimetally minded.
    I told him he had a FB antenna so even though 80m was plenty QRN and QRM he found out.
    I think he learned something and has more respect for the capabilities of his G5RV @ 20 feet...
    Perhaps a new QRP op in Palmyra NY in the future... (?)

AJ6KZ likes this.
  9. AJ6KZ

From the backyard expedition files:

I recently bought a KX1 from N9SW (great transaction) and have been itching to make at least one QSO with it. Tonight I hooked it up to my temporary 40m EFHW and called and called and called. Nothing. I was beginning to wonder whether or not it was even transmitting. Then I hooked one! Unfortunately not very far away (only 80 miles), but--as with N8AFT's story above--I was getting a 599 report with just over 4 watts. What a fun little radio!

WW2PT and US7IGN like this.
  10. AJ6KZ

I like this a lot. I'm new to the hobby, but it seems that rarely is the opportunity taken to experiment with using as little power as possible (that IS one of the guiding principles, right?) when we are in a QSO. Great story!