What promotes the hobby? Sharing or discovery?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K3KIC, Mar 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

In the apocalyptic world of the future, net lists will traded for things like food, fuel and ammunition.

K3XR likes this.
  2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen Brother!
    I travel a great deal for work, and always bring my HT and QRP rigs with me. Many, many times I've heard younger and lesser experienced hams get treated badly. Things like

"Go buy a repeater book..."
    said to a mobile 2m ham when he asked about repeaters in the area.
    "How the [bleep] did any of you [bleepers] ever get a liscence?!?!" said on-air to a Boy Scout tech on his first QSO
    "Go back to your little YL group and let the real hams talk!"
    "This is MY frequency! I always hold it. So go CQ somewhere else!"
    said to someone calling CQ on an otherwise dead frequency
    "You young guys don't know [bleep] about radio! You need to go back you your CBs and Nitendos." obviously said by someone WAY out of date
    "Go read a book. I don't have time to waste on children" said by an Extra when asked about antennas

And so forth and so on. Now to be fair, not all places are like that. Some of the areas I go to are friendly and helpful. BUT a lot of them are just plain nasty to newbies... and if you look at posts here on the ZED, you can see a similar subset of mean-spirited people. It's not all hams of course, or even a majority.... but it IS enough to give us all a bad name, which makes new or potential hams think twice before getting involved.

3. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Club nets run off repeaters are easier to find. However, search engines seem to be hit or miss.
    Possibly because some use tables that the search algorithms miss?
    But non-VHF FM repeater nets are harder to track down.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

....and my favorite on-air comment, heard just a few days ago "Look honey, why don't you get your husband to buy you a Baofung and set it up for you? It would be easier for you to just stay off HF" said to a younger, female Extra on 80m. She was operating with perfect protocol, IDing correctly and all of that.... while the goomba she was talking to was one of the worst. THAT is the sort of thing that turns people away from ham radio.

The way I see it, for every gooomba out there, those of us who want ham radio to thrive should be TWICE as outgoing and friendly to counter-act the Goombic Negativity.
    So.... in my view Sharing (in a non-condescending way) is the best way to help radio thrive.

N8RKD and KE8QEP like this.
  5. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Being personally held accountable for their words would go a long ways towards fixing that. Mouthing off to the wrong person could (should?) have consequences.

Chris

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

BTW This is nothing new I've been licensed for over 30 years and it's been the same all along.

The old grouchy hams ones need to go out to pasture and make room for the new guys.
    A lot of them act like they know it all yet don't realize that much of their knowledge is outdated.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    KK4NSF likes this.
  7. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

i joined a nightly net and got along fine...until i offered the "owner" some factual info in opposition to his position. i could get in with 20 watts.
    now even with 600 w he cant hear me..
    his way or bye bye.
    just ignor the xxxxxxxs

KK4NSF likes this.