What other interesting HF services do you hear?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Jul 13, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With the worldwide shortwave broadcasters moving to other kinds of media (e.g., Internet streaming), there doesn't seem to be a lot of activity left on HF other than hams. I can still occasionally hear the military, and time services like WWV and CHU, but I wonder what others are finding on the 21st century HF bands...

What kinds of interesting services do you all still listen to on the shortwave bands, other than amateur radio?

2. KA7FTP

KA7FTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Lf beacons, international air traffic control, wtww.

It helps to have a pan adaptor. It is fun to try and figure out what you are listening too.

KK5JY likes this.
  3. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sometimes the Broadcast stations on 40 meters; its a good way to judge propagation conditions depending upon the signal strenght to the east coast.

KK5JY likes this.
  4. KB3ZYN

KB3ZYN Ham Member QRZ Page

I see this occasionally...no idea what it is. Usually lasts about 30 minutes or so.
    [​IMG]

KK5JY likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sure is different than when I was a kid in the mid 1970s - my old S-85 was booming from one end to the other with SW broadcasters. I really miss that aspect of HF radio. Anyone too young not to have known that era, well it just can't be explained.

These days I don't listen to much HF at all. Once in a blue moon I'll tune in to one of the commercial airline frequencies - Radio Habana once in a while. But it's just not the same.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, K9ALT, W4IOA and 5 others like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Because of this thread, I currently have Radio Habana on right now on 49 meters - 6145 KHz - great signal on my 160m Inverted-L wire antenna. Boring content sigh - but great signal. I really like it when they're on a Cuban music interval or during a "incoming mail" segment where they read the letters they supposedly receive.

If you never experienced "classic SW" radio (NOT the countless religious stations on these days) you owe it to yourself to try Radio Habana in the late evenings on 49 meters. It's as close as you're going to get to "the old days"

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, KA2CZU, KK5JY and 2 others like this.
  7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

There's still a few golden nuggets still out there, but you have to know when they are on exactly. Sometimes they are only broadcasting once a week.

I still enjoy hearing the Voice of Vietnam, Radio Romania, Radio Prague and others.

The BBC is still out there and so is the VOA through relay stations located in other countries, but you need good antennas to hear them.

This listing at the link below is current and is a pretty good place to start.

http://www.primetimeshortwave.com/time.txt

W5BIB, KA2CZU, KK5JY and 2 others like this.
  8. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

AFRTS is still on (sorta) on SSb. Mostly to support small navy ships. I'll often listen to the incoming air traffic on HF. Every once in a while you also get to hear a air intercept.....

I too miss stations like HCJB, the Voice of the Andes. Their news broadcasts were first rate.

KK5JY likes this.
  9. W5PB

W5PB Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of the pirate stations are interesting. In fact, I find it unusual that any pirate broadcaster would choose a shortwave band, of all things.

I've been paying more attention of the USAF HFGCS. Brother stair, on WRMI is good for a laugh now and then.

KK5JY likes this.
  10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

"This is London..."

:)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    K9ALT, K7WFM, AC8UN and 3 others like this.