What modes do you operate while in FSK mode ?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WS2L, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WS2L

WS2L Guest

This may sound like a stupid question but I have spent most of my time as a licensed ham operating mostly CW and a little Phone. I became interested in the digital modes after seeing PSK-31 in operation on Field Day. Now if I understand correctly PSK-31 is operated on USB and RTTY on LSB leading to my question.

What modes can you operate while in FSK mode ?

I did some VHF Packet radio back in the 1980's and that is the extent of my Digital experience. So without turning on the flame thrower can someone please answer my question ?

2. VA3CQC

VA3CQC Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe that RTTY and AMTOR (and derivatives PACTOR and GTOR) are the only modes that's compatible with that setting on the radio, if that's what you're asking.

3. WS2L

WS2L Guest

Yes, that is exactly what I am asking and thank you for your response.

Can any other modes be done through the FSK mode ?

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You mean 'real' FSK as opposed to soundcard AFSK?

RTTY is about it these days. Some AMTOR and PACTOR code could be used that way years ago.

I would wager that most RTTY is done with AFSK via a soundcard today, though I would also expect that the more serious TTY contesters might still be using a good quality TU that's optimized for the 170 Hz shift.

AEA made a TU years ago that actually did a 185 Hz shift, which was half way in between the 170 for RTTY and 200 for AMTOR and Packet. It was 'close enough' to work, but not optimal.

On soundcard modes, I do several. I've started playing with MT63 for ARES work, and just started doing WSPR and JT65-HF. With about 2 watts and a piece of wire up in a tree, it's rather amazing where my signals go. I get lots of reports from Europe, but I can see that a decent antenna would improve things tremendously. Now that the snow is gone, that's high on my priority list.

5. WS2L

WS2L Guest

Soundcard AFSK.

I was just curious as I am getting into operating RTTY and PSK-31 and RTTY is on LSB and PSK-31 on USB. I was curious to know if there were actually any digital modes from a soundcard that used FSK mode on the transceiver.

Tnx much for the reply !

6. AD4DQ

AD4DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to try PSK31 when I get the time.... for now it is just SSB and CW.

7. KR2D

KR2D Ham Member QRZ Page

You can do RTTY on USB, that's what I always use. You just have to select Reverse Tones in your software.

Some software is set up for USB out of the box (DM-780, and I think fldigi). With those, you need to select Reverse Tones to use LSB.

8. K7MHI

K7MHI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

no soundcard is AFSK not FSK this might help..
    http://www.mcwa.org/AFSKvsFSK.pdf

unless you are using old equipment everything is sound card modes these days (even TNC's) using the FSK/RTTY mode on your radio with modern software or with a soundcard at all have no place any more.

you can do everything with a soundcard and also for free. which is a major reason you see things moving that direction.

as for the PSK just go download a copy of whatever software plug your rig speaker into your computer microphone and you will be reading the mail in seconds... its almost as easy as removing the radio from the cardboard shipping box these days.

9. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Since 90% of my digital-mode contacts are using Ham Radio Deluxe, I never use FSK. If HRD had FSK as an option, perhaps I might do so more often when using that mode. From the splatter I see so many RTTY users put out, I suspect most of them are also using AFSK.

10. K7MHI

K7MHI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

well HRD is just the flavor of software any software you use... unless you have a modem,TNC etc you will not be running FSK unless your radio has some special ability to connect to the software you use.
    "everyone" these days will be using AFSK as its cheaper and accomplishes the same thing as FSK from the old days.

as for the splatter it has nothing to do with AFSK or FSK you can overdrive your signal with FSK keying just like with AFSK, the difference is with a sound card its "easier" to overdrive the radio then with dedicated FSK hardware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.