What mobile antenna?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by SV1SLB, Jan 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. SP9HZX

SP9HZX Ham Member QRZ Page

They are only similiar to the original Oubacker antennas...Not the same quality and performance.
    And they definitely don't work the same way.And I wonder how they will look like and work in ,let's say,10-15 years.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    K0UO likes this.
  2. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's been a few years now (like ~18) since I was running Ham Sticks on my Explorer. Here're some pix. I worked a bunch of CW while driving, and gud DX too. I had three for different bands and would stop to change them out. They work best 20m and up. A lot of loss on lower bands.

P3250018.JPG Hamstick mount.JPG

KL7KN and KU3X like this.
  3. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

TARHEEL II

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KU3X likes this.
  4. SV1SLB

SV1SLB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed exceptional antenna but I can neither afford it, nor install it on my Vitara. If I was heading for a screw antenna I would go for the ATAS 120 which pairs with the 857 in my car.

5. K6EEN

K6EEN Ham Member QRZ Page

The Hustler resonators use a common mast (Hustler MO-1 or MO-2) to which the resonators mount, so you are carrying 3 or 4 resonators that are only 3 or 4 foot long each, not 3 or 4 HamSticks which are each 7 or 8 ft long. If you need to go shorter, Hustler makes the compromise short mast #MO-4. The MO-4 comes with a set of longer stingers (whips) to put on the standard resonators to keep the overall antenna length reasonable for HF.

ProComm Products has HamStick clones (PCF series antennas) and "shortened" HamSticks (CS series antennas). Not sure if they have a European distributor. The Ampro antennas available in Europe are probably equivalent to the PCF series. Catalog link below.

http://procommproducts.com/uploads/3/5/1/9/35194334/pg15_amateur_radio_antennas.pdf

If you want something different, like a single antenna that is tunable, try a Wolf River "Silver Bullet" coil with a manually-moved tap and a long whip like 72 inches (MFJ SWP-100) or 102 inches (Hustler 1C-56).

If you don't have the budget for a remotely tuned antenna like a screwdriver or ATAS-120, then you will be jumping out of the car to do band changes. Either manually moving the tap on a base-load coil, or changing resonators.

80 meters is going to be tough, you need antenna length. Wolf River "Silver Bullet 1000" coil and a 102 inch whip.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    DG8AE likes this.
  6. K6EEN

KU3X and DG8AE like this.
  7. SV1SLB

Thanks Leif. I am checking them now.
    So, in order to have, let's say one antenna for 20 m, I must buy one resonator for 20 m and nothing else, right? I mean besides the mount.

8. K6EEN

You wanted 80m, 40m, and 20m for band changes. You have the 3-magnet base with a 3/8x24 inch threaded stud already that you were using for your Outback 12 antenna. You can re-use that mount. So all you need to do is buy a single MO-1 mast, and three resonators: the RM-80, the RM-40, and the RM-20. To do band changes, you use the quick-link on the MO-1 mast to fold the mast over so you can reach the end. Then unscrew the current resonator, and screw on the one for the band you want to change to, then put the antenna back to vertical and slide the quick link lock in place to keep the antenna upright. Store the two resonators you aren't using in the trunk of the car.

Another ham mentioned there is an adapter plate which will allow you to mount all three resonators on the end of the MO-1 mast at the same time, so you don't have to hop out of the car to do band changes. I would not recommend using that adapter plate with a 3-magnet mag mount base. There's too much "wind load" with three resonators on the end of the MO-1 at one time, and the mag mount will likely come off the roof of the car at highway speeds.

If you want to try the system on just one band, say 20 meters, you have the 3-magnet mag mount already. So you buy a MO-1 mast and a single resonator, the RM-20.

It goes without saying if you just need one band, a HamStick will be cheaper The idea behind the Hustler multi-band system is you have a set of resonators that allows you to do band changes in a quick manner, and with resonators that are easy to store in the trunk/boot of a car. The MO-1 folding mast enables this and is an integral part of the system.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  9. SV1SLB

Thanks again Leif. You have been very clear at the description and very helpful indeed.

10. DG8AE

DG8AE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hallo Mike, I can recommend the Hustler Mobilsystem. I am using the antenna for 15 to 80 meters. It is fast to install on the Carroof (3-magnet base) and it works very well.
    For Excample : On Fridayevening from Northgermany was RK9 to work on 80m, what want we more !? I'm thinking about buying the 160 meter coil !
    Trying is better than studying ! cu on air

KU3X likes this.