What mobile antenna?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by SV1SLB, Jan 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. SV1SLB

SV1SLB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the Yaesu 857d in my car and I am looking for antenna for the HF only. ( I already have the Diamond 770 installed for 2 m and 440).
    Purchased the Outback 2012 which I did NOT get to make it work on 80 m band. It did ok on 20 and 40 though.
    I am not satisfied by its use, so I consider buying some other. Ampro hamsticks are in my list, but I must carry at least 3 of those monobanders, just to cover 20, 40 and 80 m, not to mention that I have to unscrew the one and put another on.
    Atas 120 is far too expensive for my budget, plus I do not want to drill any hole in the car, so the antenna must be installed on a triple mag mount.
    Any suggestions please?

2. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

The Atas is a very poor performing antenna so no loss not getting one.

The good old Hustler mobile antennas are still very good performers. Maximize the performance by using the high power coils for 10 through 40 meters. Use the low power resonator for 75/80 meters.

These are still very efficient antennas.
    Barry

K0UO likes this.
  3. SV1SLB

Thanks Barry! Although I do not want to have 3 or 4 mono banders in the car. Trying to find a compromised antenna for at least the 3 basic bands 20, 40 and 80 m.

4. KI4WCC

KI4WCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I carry three sticks in my van. 20/40/10m.......I've debated on the ATAS-120 myself, or the Diamond SD330. I don't know if you'll find anything multi-band mobile that isn't a screwdriver type. ($300+) Unless you'd want to pack around a tuner? I've not researched much on the Hustler types.

I do not like the narrow bandwidth of the hamsticks. I will operate CW stationary from my van and phone while mobile.

I supposed one could always have multiple mounts, two coax lines, and a coax switch? But then you'd be nearing the cost of a screwdriver if you buy half decent mounts.

KU3X likes this.
  5. SV1SLB

Quite right. I already have 3 mag mounts. One for the K40 which I use for the 10 m. One for the Diamond 770 for the V/U and a triple for an Outback 2012, which I want to replace. Never the less it's a mess dealing with 3 mounts and 3 coaxs. I will never operate cw, cause I do not know the code

6. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't need multi mounts with the Hustler system. They make an adapter so you can put up to 4 resonators on the mast at one time. When I go on road trips, I have two resonators on my mast.

http://www.ku3x.net/hf-mobile

Barry, KU3X

7. SV1SLB

Thanks Barry. The antenna pictured at the link above, is the only way it could be installed? And one more thing. Where can I find these antennas. They do not sell them in Greece from what I know.

8. SP9HZX

SP9HZX Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps you would think of one of Outbackers from Australia.Fantastic performer.
    I have been using OP for 25 years.It works great,mobile,portable and base(80 -10m).
    One whip,manual band changing so nothing can be spoilt.

K0UO likes this.
  9. SV1SLB

Well, I found only 2 videos regarding these antennas. From what I saw, they are quite similar with the Outback! They sure are well made, the connections are facing downwards, so there is no chance to accumulate water during rain, but in general the are the same thing with the one I' ve got.
    It wasn't mentioned if you must alter the whip length for any particular band, as in my model.

10. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

There are many ways to mount a hustler antenna on a car or truck. I work with steel and can weld so I made my own mount. As to where you can purchase a Hustler antenna system in Greece? I have not idea since I don't live there. I guess check with your local ham dealers or check on the internet to see if one can ship it to you?
    Good luck,
    Barry, KU3X