What microphones can I use with the new Yaesu Fusion VHF rigs?

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KD0SGX, Nov 10, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to resurrect this. I was wondering if there have been any changes since last year. I have a Yaesu FTM-100DR and wanted to know if there is a desk mike that works for it.

2. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

I can tell you that the Kenwood M-60 and the Heil Goldline do not do well on FM, but both do excellent on VHF/UHF SSB. I had both at the same time, and you cant go wrong with either one. I state that because I have owned them in the past. Now I have a new MC-60 , and may buy a new Heil soon. They do make a Icom only

At that time I had the Kenwood TS-790 and the Kenwood TM-751 2M SSB

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    KI5AAI likes this.
  3. KX4LEO

KX4LEO Ham Member QRZ Page

I too am frustrated that Yaesu has not come out with a desk mic for the FTM-400XDR. I see a lot of hams using it in a base station environment, as I do. I called Yaesu tech support and they told me that they have received a number of calls for such a desk mic.....so we will see what happens. If they do, it will likely be pricey.

Here is a link to a desk mic, but as you see, it does not show either the FTM-100 or the FTM-400.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Desktop-Desk...iid=181286999715&_trksid=p2047675.m4097.l9055

I think their last sentence in the description will make it not compatible with my FTM-400. Here it is what they say:

Type of Element: Non-directional dynamic. ☉ Diameter: 30 mm ☉ Sensitivity: -110dB (1V/ 1Pa) ☉ Output Impedance: 300 Ω

Any thoughts about this mic?

Mark
    KX4LEO

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

D8E2CB36-77F2-48F3-9027-F9AFCEE84BB5.jpeg
    Yaesu USA Product Page : FTM-400DR, 144/430 MHz Dual Band Transceiver
    https://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?c...49&encProdID=227201D29C822AEFF8482F3367495319
    ==
    Jing Deng Industrial Co., Ltd. (JDI), a Taiwan manufacturer
    http://www.jdi-co.com/en-index.php
    JDI Jing Deng Industrial Co., Ltd.
    4F., No.3, Ln. 203, Sec. 1, Zhongxing Rd., Wugu Dist.
    New Taipei City 248, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
    Tel:+886-2-2982-2275
    Fax:+886-2-2982-2324
    E-Mail:jdi@ms13.hinet.net

The microphone you have referenced (JD-DM1) is a Common Style used by Land Mobile Radio (LMR) — First Responders and Business/Government agencies.
    Kenwood and Icom have similar models (design).

NOTE: Vertex (Ex-Yaesu) combined their LMR business with Motorola Solutions.
    https://www.motorolasolutions.com/e...icrophones/md-128j.html#tabcompatibleproducts
    The Vertex MD-128J is virtually the same microphone as the JDI.

Vertex MD+128J desktop base station push to talk microphone designed for:
    VX-2100, 2200, 3000, 3200, 4100, 4200, 4500, 4600, VXR-7000, VX-7100, VX-7200, VXD-7200, VXD-R70

32928A6E-7491-4FAA-A1CD-C29F5F557513.jpeg
    PRODUCT PAGE : JD-DM1 desk microphone
    http://www.jdi-co.com/en-product-detail.php?id=73

Type of Element :Non-directional dynamic. (Electric condenser element type is available.)
    NOTICE: Manufacturer has microphone element options.
    ==
    Mark,
    YES, that desk microphone could be “adapted” for the FTM-400DR transceiver.
    Your frustration will not be resolved for two (2) reasons.

1.) Amateur radio market is SMALL.
    2.) Amateur Radio is a Technical hobby. We often “DIY Build” our solutions.
    Motorola’s development of mobile (cellular) telephone was influenced by breakup of AT&T monopoly and watching amateur radio’s 1970s combination of FM repeaters and Auto-patches.
    ==
    When I started firty years ago, my Elmers built and supported First Responders communications. Some were former state police from 1930s, that moved into mobile radio after World War II.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  5. K7JBL

K7JBL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know this isn't exactly an answer to your question, but what I do with my FTM-100dr (and my FT-991) is run my mic audio into the radio via the 10 pin mini-DIN on the back. I use a condenser mic with an X18 Behringer mixer (you could use something smaller). The cool thing about the FTM100dr (especially with simplex) is that they can sound REALLY nice. Anyhow, the audio comes in through pin 1. I set the radio to make it think it's transmitting data. You can take audio out from the same port, but there's no squelch control (that I've found). I ended up going from the 1/8" speaker out into the mixer.

Like I said, not an answer to your question, but a lot of fun. :)

Edit: Oh, and for the PTT function I just wired up a DIY PTT switch to pins 3 (PPT) and 2 (ground) on the min-DIN. I put the stock mic in the drawer.
    Phil
    K7JBL

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    KI5AAI likes this.
  6. KX4LEO

KX4LEO Ham Member QRZ Page

I went ahead and threw fate to the wind and bought one of the JDI desktop mics. It is the JD-DM1 to be more specific. It works absolutely perfect....just plug it in to the mic port, (an RJ12 6 pin 6 cond). Works fine without any mods. It also works fine with my FTM-100

Mark
    KX4LEO

7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would use a digital mic and digital antenna for optimist performance. :rolleyes:

K7JBL and N8VIL like this.
  9. KB2MXV

KB2MXV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How did you get this 300 ohm mic to work on the FTM-400 when it requires 2k ohm's? What specific model did you get? I see lots of the JDI mics for Yaesu.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_od...desk.TRS0&_nkw=yaesu+microphone+desk&_sacat=0

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  10. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Impedance is not the issue. A 300 ohm source will work into a 2k load all day. It has to do with the output level of a dynamic mic versus that of an electret condenser element. The electret generally will be substantially higher, and the FTM appears to want the higher input level.