What makes you pull the trigger to buy ham equipment

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by WJ6R, Nov 12, 2009.

?

What makes you pull the trigger to buy ham equipment?

1. Price

47.9%
  2. Quality

58.5%
  3. Support

9.6%
  4. Peer pressure

3.2%
  5. other (put in message)

20.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The only thing that makes me pull the trigger

...is if I find I need something I simply don't have.

Like right now, I have nothing at all to operate 2304 MHz and I sort of miss that. I might go for a DEMI 2.3 GHz transverter and a couple of loop yagis or a small dish or something in time for more VHF-UHF contesting.

For the regular HF-VHF bands I have so much crap a really don't need anything except a 50 acre lot and a couple of 120 foot towers.

That may be in the future.:)

2. K3ROJ

K3ROJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Retirement Hobby

Many people do not have the funds to buy new ham equipment until they retire since during the working years, money was needed to send kids to college, finish paying of a mortgage etc. Retirement is the time to more or less relax and spend some of the hard earned money accumulated over many years. Social Security is enough now to take care of the bills and do some traveling. Luckily I never invested my retirement with an investment company and bought plain IRA CDs in a ladder arrangement. Of course I found the ultimate radio transceiver, the Flex Radio 5000A which surpasses any other radio on the market. My now antique Icom 756PRO and Yaesu FT847 is being given to a local youth group who has a ham as an instructor.

3. N4WSH

N4WSH Ham Member QRZ Page

Tax refund and end of the year bonus checks.

4. KC8QVO

KC8QVO Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a lot of reasons why I pull the trigger. I am guessing the OP is referring to "purchases" as being bigger items, not accessories. In no particuluar order, here are my criteria:

I want it.
    I have researched it and found it to be what I want.
    I have tried it out in addition to my researching.
    A friend has one and I have tried it.
    The other options have been ruled out based on features, quality, reliability, price, etc.

Of course, quality and reputable manufacturer usually come in to play (although the latter could be argued to death over some high end companies - Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood, and the like). Some of it is "wait and see" also. Companies are always introducing new products - the "latest and greatest". However, it pays to watch the development of the new products. #1 you pay more for "must have now", and #2 you are the beta tester. Let it soak in the market for a while to see if it will sink or float.

Although, my last "purchase" was an LDG Z-11pro autotuner. I had some $$ from graduation gifts and more or less bought it on impulse. However, I knew LDG was a good company and the tuner was something I could most definitely use. I didn't "need it", though its really coming in handy.

A future big purchase is going to be a higher end HF rig. Of course, I don't have the $$ yet so that leaves room for all my "research" HI :D Some purchases are more complicated than others.

Steve, KC8QVO

5. N5FOG

N5FOG Ham Member QRZ Page

For me its when I have saved up the extra money in my "ham radio account".

I have online banking and set up a third savings account just for ham radio stuff. Each week after my paycheck gets direct deposited (I get it and drive directly to the bank and deposit it), I go online and move some money to the ham radio account.

I keep a list of all the ham radio stuff I want in order of priority and when my ham radio account gets enough to buy the next item on the list then I "pull the trigger" and order it.

FOG

6. W8SSE

W8SSE Ham Member QRZ Page

Good thread, interesting responses. I've been in and out of the hobby for some 15 or so years. Now retired. I have the time but less money so in my case I make purchases based on my need to play technology catch up and upgrade what I already have.

Joe
    KD8MCN

7. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Generally it's an interest in some facet of amateur radio that drives my purchases. The more interested I am the more I tend to buy. Sometimes I need to replace some unit that failed but that is rare as most of the stuff is so good that it lasts for years.

I just bought a Palstar AT1500DT tuner (now discontinued) to replace a 17 year old MFJ-986 that was failing in the roller inductor contact wheel and wouldn't tune the low end of 160m. The new tuner works very well and is a fine unit that should last many years. Most of my stuff has a very low turnover rate as I buy it to use for years.

8. KT6G

KT6G Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting post indeed!

I, like some others, will buy new if I can. However, that is not always the situation I find myself in. My friend and one of my Elmer's, K6DUY, made a most profound statement after I complained about how much ham gear costs, he said "it doesn't have too". He's correct and for what it's worth, building or fixing something brings new knowledge or new skills.

I am not afraid to tackle involved projects that may take me 3 years to complete (from conception, research, design, build, completion). Although I may get instant satisfaction by being able to buy something right away (McDonald's generation?) I have fully experienced the feeling of humble pride when another admires something I have made with my own two hands. The latter feeling is one to cherish for life.

9. KC9FSH

KC9FSH Ham Member QRZ Page

I keep my eyes open for a rig that looks good to me and has good reviews. If both of those happen and the price is within my reach I'll probably pick one up.

I've picked up quite a few pieces of equipment that were priced low at Hamfests, estate sales and Ebay. When I come across those deals I'll think about it for a couple minutes and then if it's something I think that I would actually use then I'll pick it up, typically these are more impulse buys than anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.