what makes a contact in the log? new vs. old

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NH6MA, Aug 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They repeat my callsign and I repeat theirs then it's a contact. RST and where they're at and more is what I'd prefer but most stations especially DX don't appreciate anything less than a 59. Last 6 dx contacts I've made have all been less than stellar in the RST report, they usually go on to another station after that.

N2EY likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No logging requirement in a really long time, but to qualify as a "contact," the standard is to exchange callsigns and two pieces of information per contact (requirement for almost all contests). The two pieces could be name and location, or serial number and signal report, or signal report and CQ zone or ITU zone, or almost anything.

Used to be a "sprint" where the exchange was a signal report and what you ate for dinner. "59 spaghetti."

WD4IGX likes this.
  3. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I always give the VIN of my last truck and have them repeat it back to me after the signal report. :rolleyes:

K8XG, W7UUU and W4IOA like this.
  4. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, sure ... except for DXpeditions where it's callsign and one piece of information -- a signal report that's always 59/599. ;)

5. KH6KK

KH6KK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, I log as a contact with call, RST (or RS), name, and QTH. Been doing it that way since '79. Just a habit I guess. OK, back in the bushes.. :D

6. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL VHF contests only exchange the grid square. Signal report is optional and you rarely hear one. A signal report could be considered either two or three pieces of information.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You're 59 plus here. Please repeat everything.

K1OIK likes this.
  8. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wh4io?......4woai?.....w4oa?....w4ioa? You're 59 here in Poland

9. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

For most awards, the QSL card has to have the call of the station, a signal report or Maidenhead locator, the mode used for the QSO, and the band (either frequency or meter). Of those, 2 are the result of the QSO and the rest are supplied by the operator.

Glen, K9STH

10. W6NYA

W6NYA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was taught back in '73 that it was call, signal report, and qth. That was a "contact"--it wasn't confirmed till I had a QSL card. Things change though-----

Jim
    W6NYA