what makes a contact in the log? new vs. old

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NH6MA, Aug 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. NH6MA

NH6MA Subscriber QRZ Page

When I first got my ticket back in '87, a contact in the log was RST, name, and QTH.
    Missing one of the three disqualified it as a complete contact.

Now it seems like we've done a Meatloaf; two out three is okay and 'you are in the log!'

What's the deal?

I used to answer calls from those Phone Fray thingys, but no more. Just doesn't seem right with only name and state.

This is sort of related to the relay thread. No one did relays before knowing it wasn't helping make a contact.
    Yes, you would relay casual QSOs, but never a new contact. Just wasn't done.

I like working weak stations! I feel like they are trying harder and 'working' the radio! Hell I like being the weak station (I often am).
    Maybe folks just don't have the patience anymore to pull someone out of the bushes. Oh and a big thanks to those stations that do.
    For me, I'll always try to work a station until they are unworkable.
    I've decided that if I don' get the Big Three, then sorry, a QSO it ain't.

what say ye?

WD4IGX likes this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Never heard that before. (Licensed since 1970). I'm not sure you still had to keep a log in 1987?

KM4JCP and WU8Y like this.
  3. NH6MA

Well, I did keep a log.
    Maybe the contact thing was something I read or some advice I was given. Don't know, but it sticks in my head. Worked mostly CW back then, maybe thats part of it?

4. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

These days, just about any logging program will automatically add the Name and QTH.

5. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed, except for contests, it ain't a QSO without exchange of call, RST, name, and (at least) state. After that, you're chewing the rag...

WD4IGX, KH6KK and W4IOA like this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Callsigns traded = QSO. Aviation standard. :)

N4UP, K8XG, W7UUU and 2 others like this.
  7. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Beating this dead horse, yet again?

I've been licensed and active for 40 years, and to the best of my knowledge and recollection, outside of contests (which define the "exchange" that constitutes a "complete" contact) the only thing that determines whether there's been a "complete" contact is receipt of a QSL -- either on paper or electronically.

It's up to the station solicited for a confirmation to determine whether sufficient information was exchanged to warrant a QSL.

Generally speaking, I'd say if the solicitation includes the correct callsign, date/time, mode and frequency band (as in LoTW), it doesn't matter whether the on-air info exchange (or logbook entry) includes RST, name, QTH or anything else.

WD4IGX, K8XG, WU8Y and 2 others like this.
  8. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Besides callsign, I like name and location so I can verify I copied the callsign correctly.

Signal report means nothing to me.

KC3BZJ likes this.
  9. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Go on an awards net, they are all Roger Contacts.:rolleyes:

10. NH6MA

I tried doing a search.
    Sorry.