What made you choose AM?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Aug 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember when mode designators were a letter/number grouping? CW was A1**, AM was J6**, etc.? Those numbers were the allowable width of the signal. I can't remember what they all were now, don't know why they changed that 'cuz it told you a lot.

2. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

They still are.

The ITU emission designators were changed post-WARC 1979 to include more characteristics.

Previous designators (WRC 1947) were shorter and could be somewhat ambiguous.

Ear-received Morse was A1, with the optional necessary bandwidth designator added 0.1A1, now it is A1A or 100HA1A;

Double-sideband AM was A3 or 6.0A3, now it is A3E or 6K00A3E;

SSB was A3J, or 2.8A3J, now it is J3E or 2K80J3E.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

CW was A-1. Both AM and SSB were A-3. Never anything about allowable bandwidth in the U.S. amateur rules. Click here and scroll down to msg #7 for full explanation.

N6YW likes this.
  4. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC have always had their own, usually almost correct, interpretation of the ITU texts.:)

In the very beginning, SSB was A3a.
    In the 1959 ITU-RR it became changed to A3J.

The list of modes in the1974 ARRL License Manual actually came out of the 1938 Cairo ITU Radio Regulations.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

N2EY likes this.
  5. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wrong sub-forum OM.

The biggest problem on the bands now is LACK of activity. That argument made some sense in the days when the bands were wall to wall hetrodynes that SSB could reduce both by lack of carriers to hetrodyne and from having half the bandwidth, but it's silly today.

SSB indeed is more efficient. So what? A Toyota Corolla is more efficient than a C8 Corvette, by leaps and bounds. But which would you rather drive?

AM vs SSB is even better because AM is cheap, at least compared to a C8 Corvette. ;)

Note - I operate both, SSB on my Yaesu "plastic radio" and AM on a DX-100.

6. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed.gif

bravo.gif

rockon.gif

N2EY likes this.
  7. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

'IGX' -
    'More efficient', a narrower signal, "bands not crowded"?... The narrower thing was one of the excuses for switching to SSB at that time (yeah, I remember it). And, when you look at the 'usable' portion of the power transmitted, SSB is more efficient and narrower. As far as the bands not being crowded that just depends on the time of day you listen, at least around here (5th call area).
    This is mostly from my memory so you can take it or leave it as you think you should. Bless your little heart...

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

A Corolla with a turbo added and a nitrous button. A C8 is too much of a cop magnet just as is AM to some of the Looney Tunes on the bands and here at times.

OTOH, I certainly would enjoy a 750 hp Hellcat at times and that is before it is tuned:D

Carl

9. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

OK Paul, W5LZ, so you've been around a while, and probably date back to SSB's struggle for acceptance that created all kinds of friction with incumbent ops on AM.
    That's history.
    In your latest postings, I detect a glimmer of hope as you take the edge off .
    You know it's not polite to be the skunk at a picnic. 'Nuff said.

Moving on:
    Please consider downloading this sound file and take a listen to a 15 minute snapshot of the AM Community. It's from a couple years ago, and I felt a twinge to hear Liz, K4GHT, among those in the roundtable. She has since passed away from cancer . What I hope you get from this recording is the traditional fellowship and storytelling that so many of us associate with today's AM. Not the combative, toxic confrontation you came in here with. You may decide that there's room in your operating activities to at least listen to the bunch of us. There's a huge contingent of AMers in 5-land, around 3890, nearly every night. I want to point out that the AM Community took a leadership role many years ago, in voluntarily arraying our activity in known areas of the bands, to minimize friction with incompatible modes and activities.

This link is a file of about 15Mb in size. It may take a minute to download to your local computer for playout. It's worth the wait and worth the listen.

https://qsl.net/wa3vjb/FridayMorningGroup_2017-03-17T09_43_58Z_3885.0kHz.wav

One other point: It's really unusual these days to find any poison against AM. The ARRL, if that's any guide for you, not only takes part in AM-specific on air events, but W1AW is running a retired commercial AM broadcast transmitter on 160 and 75 meters with us. It came from K3RTV, a museum I am associated with, and was repaired and retuned as a joint project with a museum in Connecticut.

The League's flagship station also includes a current production, AM transmitter called the "Super Senior," engineered and marketed by K7DYY.

I point these two developments out to help convince you that AM is no longer looked down upon by people of good will. I hope you will join us.

N6YW likes this.
  10. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

If W5LZ wants to remain in the round table, so be it.
    However, being sarcastic will not be tolerated.
    I think we have all cooled our jets so to speak, so let’s keep it that way.
    Meanwhile, as the thread is titled, what made you choose AM?

W2BTK and AG5CK like this.