What made you choose AM?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Aug 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W8KHK

W8KHK Ham Member QRZ Page

I chose AM because I was brought up by my grandfather and my father to appreciate and respect a good-sounding signal. Attention to detail throughout the entire design, especially the speech amplifier and modulator driver stages. More than half the fun is getting it to sound good before taking it off the dummy load.

AM is here to stay forever. SSB is just a passing fad. By the way, Clark was accurate when he said "AM prevents you from sounding like Mickey Mouse". Shrill and squeaky. It only sounds like Donald Duck if you don't know how to properly tune your receiver.

Plastic radios turn me off. Disposable, just like the current economy. Give me heavy metal to hold down the floor in the most severe tornado or hurricane. A stout rack with a harness tied to several terminal strips on the back of each chassis. A thing of beauty it is! Big mod transformers are very sensual, seeming to have a life all their own. Occasionally they will speak to you ever so softly. That's true love! Only on AM!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  2. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

True with no BFO, otherwise you can pitch up and down a SSB signal to the point where it can sound like any Disney character.

I’d only run SSB if I wanted to remain incognito at hamfests.

W8KHK likes this.
  3. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Same argument as some "QRP" aficionados. I would have said operators but am in doubt about that.

Some of them say amplifiers are bad. Nobody should need BLANK amount of power. blank blank power is plenty.

What's the name of the output stage in their "QRP" radio??

An amplifier of course.

No reason somebody with a rig 1/10th their output power can't preach to THEM about THEIR overpowered 100 watt or even 5 watt "QRO" system.

It all comes down to ignorance and rationalization.

WD4IGX and AG5CK like this.
  4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

5. N8AFT

I SURE MESSED THAT UP ABOVE....
    ANYWAY TNX AGN OM BILL....

6. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed.

My appreciation of "Authorized Modulation" was realized as a young lad laying on my grandmother's living room floor listening to her big console radio, what great sound. When I was introduced to ham radio about '52/3, AM was THE phone mode, and I knew ham radio was for me.

N6YW, KM1H, N8AFT and 1 other person like this.
  7. N8AFT

Same here, my introduction to amateur radio and phone mode listening was indeed AM bk in the early '60's on 160m.

WA3VJB and N6YW like this.
  8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Almost identical but I was sitting in an "easy chair" listening to her late 30's Zenith

WA3VJB and N6YW like this.
  9. K4RT

K4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto. Also, an interest in vacuum tube circuits, the appeal of tube era AM gear, and encouragement from a couple good ham friends who have been on AM since the 1950s/60s.

10. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I love stories such as this....