ad: elecraft

What made you choose AM?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Aug 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Apply base line clipper.

Attached Files:

2. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

None of my processors worked on CW.

W8KHK, AC0OB, W2VW and 2 others like this.
  3. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

AM prevents you from sounding like Mickey Mouse. We can also be sure what you really sound like.

Not always a benefit, of course.

W8KHK and N6YW like this.
  4. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

I once saw this on an AM forum for grins:

Why I don't like Vintage AM:

1. I want to sound unnatural, like a duck,

2. I like to guess what's inside my little plastic box,

3. The glow of tubes makes me too nostalgic,

4. I don't like to transmit more than three side bands,

5. I can transmit audio, not RF,

6. PEP is where it's at baby,

7. If the almighty had wanted us to use something other than SSB, he would not have invented AM,

8. I can't transmit Digital on AM,

9. Operators on AM aren't very open to me using CB slang,

10. I don't like to hear two side bands at once. :D

Pheel

N6YW and (deleted member) like this.
  5. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

CW is WAY better then ssb, its much narrower and low power CW does much better then ssb for making contacts.
    Its also easy to build a CW rig.
    I look at ssb as cheap cost cut AM.

6. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I was hooked as a child the first time I heard a distant AM Broadcast Station on a Hi-Fi Console Receiver. To this day, there is nothing sweater to my ears then a full bandwidth AM Signal being demodulated with an envelope detector, complete with all its selective fading and distortion. To me, that is part of the ambience.

This love followed me into amateur radio. AM was always my preferred choice, but I was fortunate enough to get to know a small group of SSB operators that actually had some manners, common sense, and technical ability. They were trying to get the fidelity of AM into SSB, with great success I might add. This was coined eSSB (extended SSB) at the time. I spun off into this for about 10 years and we made great progress with it.

Alas, although eSSB was fun and sounded absolutely terrific, it is not AM and I eventually gravitated back towards "Angel Music". The absolute truth is I missed the ambience. There is nothing like hearing the grunts and groans of a high power plate modulated transmitter first coming on the air with it's massive carrier, fully quieting the receiver band noise, and then hearing that demodulated audio pour out of the speaker. Not only does the audio sound sublime, but so does the silence between words and sentences. When the operator takes a pause for whatever reason, just the sound of the carrier as it rolls through the either is mesmerizing in itself. You can hear as the electromagnetic wave undulates, weaves, and tunnels through time and space.

AM is just awesome.

WN1MB, K9GAS, K4KYV and 3 others like this.
  7. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I have to say in all fairness, that he's wrong. I mean what's more efficient than a 120% modulated AM
    signal with 10 kc of bandwidth, causing the SSB ops to QSY when they are insistent on causing deliberate
    QRM in the AM Window to begin with? Duh!
    Oh well, it's okay. He has a right to his opinion... elsewhere.

WD4IGX, KM1H, AC0OB and 1 other person like this.
  8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

One very positive result to the AM surge is the number of young hams showing up OTA and on forums.

Many vintage gear prices have leveled off, SDR's are the new phasing rig (yes Matilda, they use the phasing method to develop SSB) that can be menu driven to sound like real AM broadcast stations and not the current crap heard daily. They also sound fine on SSB.

Carl

9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

BCG:

Wrong Walt Disney character! SSB sounds like Donald Duck and not Mickey Mouse! :rolleyes:

Glen, K9STH

10. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's my response to those who gripe about my running AM, claiming it takes up too much band space:

I'm operating AM instead of SSB, for the same reason you're operating SSB instead of CW.
    Who's to arbitrarily declare that the acceptable compromise between bandwidth and personal preference is specifically limited to the bandwidth of SSB, and not to the bandwidth of AM or to that of CW?

If the sole objective of amateur radio is to communicate at the narrowest possible bandwidth, why not ban both AM and SSB, and force everyone to operate CW (or PSK or some other micro-bandwidth data mode)? While indeed two SSB QSOs could operate in the band space of one AM QSO, four to five CW QSOs could operate in the band space of one SSB QSO.

No, you're transmitting SSB instead of CW because (at least in this instance) you prefer SSB. By the same token, I'm transmitting AM instead of SSB because I prefer AM.

The inherent nature of amateur radio communication (except possibly during certain emergency situations) is its unimportance - so unimportant that commercial telecommunication services are not employed.

If you can't find anywhere on the band to have a QSO, so be it. Wait till a clear spot opens up. There is no compelling reason or need to cram as many QSOs as possible into the band at any one given time.

WD4IGX, N8AFT, N6YW and 1 other person like this.