What logging system do you use?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KJ7ISA, Dec 10, 2019.

?

What logging system do you use? (Select all that apply)

1. QRZ Logbook

51.3%
  2. ARRL Logbook of the World (LOTW)

53.8%
  3. Hand-Written Logbook

32.2%
  4. I do not use a logbook

6.0%
  5. N3FJP

24.6%
  6. Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD)

22.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
  1. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

LOG4OM works for me

KJ7ISA likes this.
  2. G0KDT

G0KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hand log for 'real' contacts - I can make a note and record annecdotes etc which more personal to the ops and Qso.

Winlog32 so far for any FT8 contacts as its simpler for that mode as lets be honest its not really a chat with much meaning. Even Winlog32 doesn't have field sizes big enough to record names of ops locations etc from callbook or qrz for each contact so its pretty naff really.

KJ7ISA likes this.
  3. NS3L

NS3L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use MacLoggerDX.

Steve NS3L

KJ7ISA likes this.
  4. AE8MM

AE8MM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Winlog32 here... looking to move onto something else at some point.

KJ7ISA likes this.
  5. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use the N3FJP Amateur Contact Log. The specialized programs for all the ARRL and CQ contests as well as the state contest programs sold me on that package. It's really a joy to use. Took a little work, but I have it running on Linux. I love it. :)

KJ7ISA likes this.
  6. KM8V

KM8V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DXLab

K2CD and KJ7ISA like this.
  7. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

I use N1MM, not on the list, this is probably a typical eHam survey with important choices left out...

PD2R likes this.
  8. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So... It's been a year since the original post. Results are interesting in that QRZ and LOTW are at about the same percentages. Which is very strange because LOTW is not really a logging service, but a repository for logs that were made using a stand alone logging program. QRZ is almost a logging program but like LOTW, mostly serves as a log repository. LOTW and QRZ are too cumbersome to use (IMHO) as real time logging programs.

So, each to his or her liking. I have been using electronic logging for almost my entire ham career. I really don't like writing stuff down, and yeah, I've lost data due to computers dying. That's where services like QRZ/ LOTW come in very handy. If your computer dies, you can always recover your log from either source. Having learned that lesson the hard way, I now make sure to upload my logs after every operating session to both QRZ and LOTW.

From experience, I can endorse N3FJP's AC LOG as the logging program of choice. N1MM is very good also and free, but it is mostly a contest logging program.

9. PD2R

PD2R Ham Member QRZ Page

N1MM and I upload my log regularly to the LOTW.

10. N2HUN

N2HUN Ham Member QRZ Page

An ancient yellowed ARRL paper logbook.