What logging system do you use?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KJ7ISA, Dec 10, 2019.

?

What logging system do you use? (Select all that apply)

1. QRZ Logbook

51.6%
  2. ARRL Logbook of the World (LOTW)

54.1%
  3. Hand-Written Logbook

30.8%
  4. I do not use a logbook

5.0%
  5. N3FJP

25.8%
  6. Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD)

23.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

When I was first licensed in 1970, one was required to log all transmissions, including CQs that went unanswered. Even though the FCC as you pointed out has long-since relaxed that, I still log all contacts as I just want to keep a record. To each their own.

.................Bob

KJ7ISA and K8PG like this.
  2. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, my Novice logbook from 1977 has lots of those! :)

KJ7ISA and W5ESE like this.
  3. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a paper log book and LoTW.

Here's why I use a paper log. 1) The memory media/configuration is reliable and never changes. It will be readable 10, 20, 30 years from now by simply opening the book. 2) It never fails to "boot up". 3) It's independent of any electronic device and needs no batteries, software, updates, connection to internet etc. 4) I can add notes about a QSO easily and to the extent I want to.

Here's why I use LoTW. 1) I am chasing states and DXCC. 2) I can search QSOs by call sign. 3) I can check my credit matrix. 4) I get confirmations, often rather quickly. 5) Sending cards for DX can get expensive over a period of time.

I have a spreadsheet with the DXCC entities I've worked in the left hand column. Along the top row is a label for bands, 160m through 6m (ex 60m). When I work a new entity, I insert a row and enter the call sign in the 2nd to left column. Then I list the call sign under the appropriate band. I print this once in a while and put it in a 3-ring binder and keep it at the operating position. When I hear or see a station spotted, I check my list and see if I need it on that band.

I'm not against computer logging at all. I'm thinking about N3FJP or N1MM+ for participation in contests. Now that I have my WinKeyer, N1MM+ might help.

KJ7ISA and K0UO like this.
  4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a good question, and an interesting discussion.
    I use an old-school, manual log-book.... simply because that is what I enjoy, for two reasons: 1- it doesn't require a computer. I spend waaaay too much time in front of the little screen for work and it's good to get away from it for a while. AND I often operate very old non-computerized radios, and when I do I turn off the computer to eliminate the electrical noise they make. Tube type radios can be very quiet, if you don't feed a lot of QRM into them.

and #2- just because that's the way I've always done it, and I'm comfortable with it. I've never been one to embrace "change for change's sake".

BUT to be sure, I have no problems with more modern logging systems, and often log for other operators at field day or other events. It's all good in my view.

KJ7ISA and AK5B like this.
  5. AF7VT

AF7VT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

MacLoggerDX, QRZ & LoTW.

Ric AF7VT

KJ7ISA likes this.
  6. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

I log in a notebook. I only consider a contact confirmed when I have a QSL card in hand. Preferably direct from that country with the foreign cancellation stamp.

As a favor to others (and only because I understand it is important to many even if I have no interest in awards) I will upload to LOTW occasionally- simply because digital modes auto-log into an adif file and it takes me only a few seconds each week. At one time I also uploaded to eQSL but that is extremely rare.

I read the QRZ page for every contact I make and import my log over whenever I remember. But only because it makes it simple to click on profiles without having to type in the callsign.

KJ7ISA likes this.
  7. KF9VV

KF9VV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

N3FJP for general purpose and contesting at home. Paper logging when operating portable. I usually type in the paper logs on a rainy day or in some exotic location like a medical waiting room. Any of the contacts directly logged in N3FJP are automatically uploaded to LOtW.

I also use the SKCC logger for that activity, then transfer files into N3FJP at the end of the day.

My one complaint is the hurdles to correctly logging a portable operation in LOtW are such a PITA that I have more or less abandoned uploading them to LOtW.

KJ7ISA likes this.
  8. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use whatever is lazy and interconnected so I can log once and have it propagate. I only log people who were a notable QSO really, I don’t care one bit about any awards.

KJ7ISA likes this.
  9. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to use AC Log...at least I think that's what it's called. It was fine and it was very easy to upload to LOTW. However, since I no longer use LOTW, I just created a log entry form on Google Forms and each time I fill it out the data gets added to a Google sheet. Very cool!

KJ7ISA likes this.
  10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have a Paper and pen log. I still keep accurate logs and they go back to summer of 1961.

KJ7ISA and K0UO like this.