What kind of rigs you are using and Why?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by JR1AQN, Aug 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. DO1JML

DO1JML Ham Member QRZ Page

Q1. Please let me know your rig line-up. (Like TS-590, FT101…etc.)
    I am assuming that by "rig", you mean "transmitter" and that devices like the HackRF are excluded (even if they are technically small transmitters...).

I am using a Xiegu G90 on shortwave and a Radioddity GD-77 on VHF/UHF. I also have a GD-73E, it is the reason I got the licence actually.

Q2. Why did you chose the rigs? (reliability, design, favorite makers..etc.)

I chose the GD-77 because of the availability of user-developed firmware.

I chose the G90 because I wanted something small and not too expensive to try shortwave. I also need the rig to be transportable, I can't really do shortwave in my flat.

Q3. What is your favorite mode and band?

I am a beginner, so I am not settled yet. I used DMR on 70cm, NFM on 2m and 70cm and SSB on 80m and 15m. With the licence I have, I am limited in the bands I am allowed to use.
    I intend to try FT8 shortly.

Q4. Which rig will you consider to buy in the near future?

I have no idea.

2. K8UDZ

K8UDZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Elecraft K3 with KPA500 amp and P3 panadapter

Performance, features, support/updates, and the fun of putting it together myself

SSB on anything that's open. I want to try some of the digital modes and more CW.

No plans to buy anything in the near future, but I'd like to try a Flex

3. KO4AXU

KO4AXU Ham Member QRZ Page

IC-718, 2 TM-281A's

Simplicity, not a fan of touch screens, fancy waterfall screens and multiple embedded menus.
    Simplicity, reliability and good price/value.

SSB and Olivia on HF (80m, 40m). On 2m FM we have many local nets.
    Winlink VHF and HF for local Emcomm nets.

No plans to buy anything soon, all set with what I have now.
    But if I ever see an IC-7200 for sale at a good price, I would maybe get that.
    Gotta have the handles though! Then I'd maybe build a go box for it.

[​IMG]

Not a contester, just like talking to folks on nets or QSOs before and after nets.
    Do a lot of Emcomm nets too, voice and digital.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  4. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

---Ten Tec Jupiter. Awesome radio for what it is and the original price point. I used a friends in a few contests and eventually got my own.
    ---Icom 706 MKII. Probably the only radio I will never get rid of. Bought it at Dayton used. Dirt cheap. No issues, 12 years ago or so.
    I've used it as a portable, back-up, main rig, HF, vhf, whatever. It's just a good, solid reliable radio that does it's job. And it don't take up any
    room!
    ---uBitx V6. My 2nd try at qrp. 1st try was a Chinese pixie that went POP! :D
    Never thought I would like qrp, but I liked the idea of assembling the radio and using it. Threw away the Baofeng handmic, added a re-wired
    computer desk mic and swept the 13 Colonies.

---See above

---Depends. I go through phases. Right now I'm a simple man with not much time.
    SSB and 80m

---I dunno.
    Hopefully Ten Tec can revive itself ( I know!) and a nice new re-vamped, updated Jupiter will come along.

5. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

A1. Alinco DX-77 and TenTec Omni C. An FT-817(non-ND) is kicking around, along with some QRP single band radios that sit on a shelf.

A2. The '817 was a wedding gift; the XYL was a ham (lapsed ticket now) and she knew I wanted one, but would never buy it, so when we got married, she decided to clean out her bank account and get that for me. It may well be the one radio that I part with last. I went through a few radios, mostly TT's, took a time off radio, wanted to get back on and traded into my Omni. The Alinco was a hamfest find with low output power; I wanted a general purpose receiver and so I took a gamble on it. [It's sorta fixed now.]

A3. Before I was on HF I'd say 2m FM as I spent lots of time in the car. Then I used PSK31 on 40 & 20m, then CW used to be my favorite, but lately I have enjoyed 17m SSB. At the moment I alternate between SSB on the upper bands during the day and CW on the lower bands at night.

A4. Been trying to decide that myself. I prefer buttons and knobs but touchscreens are here to stay. I've been wanting to get an IC-7300 or a TS-590SG, at times maybe another TenTec. I don't need high end, if anything I need a tower and a beam, followed by an amp, then a better radio. But I'd be lying if I didn't admit to wanting something newer with better selectivity.