What killed Ham Radio? Exactly?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB9BVN, Apr 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

The sounds a lot more like a Doom Star reflector, Tony.

KE0GXN and K8XG like this.
  2. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Hey RamRod, we got a tractor hauling Dynamite and behind him is a Tanker of Hydrogen. Squeez the Jesus folks in the Hippy Van in-between them; they need all the help they can get... CONVOY "

Edit: it was a good song, campy movie however...

KG4RRH and VK4HAT like this.
  3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I built one using a $35 DV hat from Amazon. I already had the radio and Raspberry Pi. Super easy.

I lurk on the DStar 30c reflector while I work. It's kind of neat hearing folks from all over the globe pop in and out. I suppose one day I'll pick up the radio and actually talk, but I'm not one to randomly ragchew unless I know the person.

Chris

K8XG likes this.
  4. K8XG

In 2003 this set of Discovery and Rockets was Awesome: few of them it was several hours of episodes :

2E0CIT likes this.
  5. 2E0CIT

2E0CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video! I would have loved to have been in that group of whackos!
    ...reminds me of getting into trouble at 17 years old in my first job in an oil refinery laboratory....just because the boss discovered me making rocket fuel when there was no other work to do! :rolleyes:

K8XG likes this.
  6. K8XG

By the way, we put mini computers and radios in those Rockets Hi HI , APRS, 900mhz telemetry, RaspPi and cameras on IP video [I used to used 2.4g analog back then but now there is too much cell phone interference on 2.4 even in the middle of nowhere USA ]

7. K8XG

At that same field in 2010, here is a 2.4g analog video on the Flight of the Redstone:

KT4PH and N0TZU like this.
  8. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or the 7.200 of Wires-X..:oops:

VK4HAT likes this.
  9. K8XG

They are much better , Hi HI

KE0GXN likes this.
  10. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radio is not a zero-sum game. Those modes do not prevent more traditional modes from being utilized and hams who use those modes are not prevented from using traditional modes. If a ham chooses to only use those modes, is that all that different than those hams who choose to operate CW only?

Ham radio was the STEM arena of its day. DV and digital modes are more in line with that line of thinking than anything analog if you consider where communications technologies are going today. I wonder if people who rail against DV and digital modes have lost that plot, focusing more on "tradition" than technological progression.

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.