What killed Ham Radio? Exactly?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB9BVN, Apr 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, that's it.

WD4ELG likes this.
  2. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WILL THE REAL W6AAM PLEASE STAND UP

W6AAM.jpg

FRANK, ENJOY THE FUN FILLED WORLD OF HAM RADIO.......

HAM RADIO IS ALIVE AND WELL

73 - K1LKP

K6WI likes this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

News flash
    "We" are still not all dead yet

Over 20 QSOs, just today

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm"

W0FS and K1LKP like this.
  4. NG4F

NG4F Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have never had an hf beam and a legal limit amp, I highly recommend one. Ive never broke a pile up with a $50 dipole. But I agree, a cheap setup will get you on the air. A boafeng and an alinco sr8 is all you need to talk. IMO an alinco sr8 is probably the best value hf rig.

K0UO likes this.
  5. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've done okay with a dipole and a 600W amp. It just takes a little patience to wait for the big boys to clear out. My goal is to have a tower and a beam. Although I can afford to do it now, it's a hard sell even to myself. I think I need to get myself drunk before I do my pitch.

N1VAU, NG4F and KK4NSF like this.
  6. KG7QJB

KG7QJB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very well said, I would say this for us older guys who discovered it late in life , enjoy the hobby. It is fun to me and being retired a great new discovery. Most of us did not grow up with a house full of electronics. Maybe an AM radio and a black and white tv.

NL7W and K0UO like this.
  7. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

are you kidding me? If you think you need all of that to be a ham, you are waaaay off base. I talk to folks all of the world, and don't have anything near that much invested in equipment. In fact, my normal operating station could be duplicated for more like $500 not the $10k figure.

Sure, you can spend all that money.... just like you can drop $200k on your fancy sports car. BUT you certainly don't have to in order to drive around. My 1974 Jeep is ragged, and has 300,000 miles on it..... and it gets me everywhere I want to drive it.

W4LJ, W7UUU and F8WBD like this.
  8. N1KK

N1KK Ham Member QRZ Page

The missing of that kind excitement is what's killing Ham Radio. Part of the excitement for me was going to Boston and testing in front of the FCC.
    Sometimes when things are hard to get they are appreciated more.
    Ken

W0FS, W4LJ and K0UO like this.
  9. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I think what has hurt and will continue to hurt ham radio is cultural. Our culture and society as a whole is changing at warp speed. Definitly not isolated to hurting ham, masons, shriners, rotary club, country clubs are all going the way of the dodo bird. The kids and 20 somethings are on a total different wave length than what we know. There is no room for ham in their life style.

I think ham will continue to exist but with a lot less people involved.

WD4ELG likes this.
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm gonna start stamp.

W0FS, KD7LX, K3XR and 1 other person like this.