What Keeps ham Radio From Growing

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD5SYH, Oct 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AE4FA

AE4FA Ham Member QRZ Page

By-the-by, my latest HF rig cost me 25 bucks, a bit of solder, abd an evening using the old soldering iron.

The thing is housed in an Altoids tin I dug out of a trash can, and the antenna is an old scrap piece of 24 guage speaker wire.

Asking "how much does it cost to get on HF?" now as opposed to then seems a bit silly to me. We are not living in the then, we are living in the now.

And, as a very wide fella once said, "You'll do what you want to do. All the rest is just talk."

73, Bob

2. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K3UD @ Oct. 24 2002,16:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Agree that the IC-701 might not have been the best comparison, maybe the Hallicrafters FPM or the Collins solid state transceiver from the early 80s would have been a better one especially the Collins if compared to rigs like the IC-777 or the FT-1000 series  Although the IC-718 may not have the best specs today, I would guess that they are better overall performers than the Heath HW series, the Swans, Hallicrafters, Nationals, Yaesu 101s, Kenwood 520 etc. all available in the 70s. Again it is all relative.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ANYTHING is better than a Halliscratchers FPM300. That was my first SSB rig. I kept it for about three weeks before dumping it to buy back my Apache and goodness knows what receiver. Is was an awful rig, worse - just about totally useless - on CW (which was all I REALLY wanted to work anyway.)

I'd say the same thing about nearly all Swan stuff, but I know that will start a flame war. There are actually folks who think highly of that junk. Oops, I said it.

I had to make this comment. As for the costs, I'm not sure. Could be either way. Depends on what you want I think. And I agree on the front end overload. It's very unlikely. For all the reasons mentioned here. And a half a watt besides? Something is wrong, but I won't venture to guess what.

Good luck and 73,

Chris

3. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Chris-W5ATX
    You have to admit though Swan played a good part in helping to relieve the congestion on the bands. If a Swan moved in too close to your QSO you just had to wait a minute and it would drift down the band to some one elses QSO.........

Bob-AE4FA
    No Bob nothing has changed,if I'm still around I may get back to QRP but it is very low on the priority list as there are still a few modes of Ham Radio I haven't tried yet. And now with the digital world moving into Radio Communications in full force ,they are comming up with new modes and variations faster than I can modify the station to try them. I was a little surprised on the other post no one was able to answer my questions about QRP. Is there some sort of movement to totally boycott history ? I have seen posts from some of the newer Hams stating they don't want to learn and are just waiting for the experienced Hams to die off,so there is no tie to the past.It was some what before my time but I guess it was fun to invent the wheel,looks like the newbies will get the chance to do it again. Not too efficient of a way to operate,but it is only a HOBBY, that is all that matters now. Have fun and Enjoy Bob,and don't be surprised if that weak one way down in the noise turns out to be me some day.............73,    ORV

4. AE4FA

AE4FA Ham Member QRZ Page

Orv

I'll be listening for you. As for your question - I've been around the hobby for 39 years, and I don't remember the 1 watt QRP thing. 'Course I was just interested in pounding brass, making QSOs, and getting QSLs . . .

Back then, I was also interested in more, not less power. I figured I was already at the bottom of the power pile with my T-60.

Maybe Glen can find the answer somewhere.

Don't give up on the newbies. I've met &amp; talked with some fine younger ops - down to 11 - who enjoy CW. The son of a friend got his Extra under the old scheme, at age 14.

I'm currently teaching a code class on Wednesday nights, and have a roomful of budding ops. The guys - and one YL - are very motivated!

73, Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.