What It's Going to take...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KY5U, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I was agreeing with you....

2. K1MVP

K1MVP Ham Member QRZ Page

OK Charlie,--
    Sorry if I "read" into your statement.--I apologize.--
    I guess it time for a "time out" for myself on this
    issue on this forum --and get back to enjoying ham radio.                  
                            73, Rene, K1MVP

3. AB0WR

AB0WR Ham Member QRZ Page

Once again, 5wpm Morse code is no more a barrier to getting an amateur license than gaining a certain level of technical knowledge. In fact, for most people it is LESS of a barrier. That argument is just a non-starter, it always has been, it will remain so.

The argument that Morse Code serves no regulatory purpose is just as fallacious. The technical knowledge portion of the test serves no more of a regulatory purpose. It is just as much of an arbitrary barrier as the Morse Code because the ANSWERS to the test questions are publically available.

That is why they don't publish the answers to the SAT and ACT tests - they would become meaningless for judging whether or not the test taker knows the material or has just memorized the answers.

It isn't a matter of how DIFFICULT the subject areas addressed by the questions are, it is a matter of the SPECIFIC ANSWERS being publically available. You simply cannot address the difficulty of the test by making the questions harder.

You CAN, as was suggested by someone else, make the tests so long that the average person cannot memorize the answers or you can make the question pools so large that, once again, memorizing all the answers is not possible.

But I suspect you would scream as loud as most if we made the General test 500 questions long with a pool of 5000 questions to choose from. It would make your upgrade test much, much more difficult.

Besides, it isn't going to happen anyway. The VEC organizations would never buy into it. It would cut into their revenue stream.

As far as technical relevance, most people see no relevance in learning ANY of the technical knowledge either - it is ALL out of date with most peoples experience.

I set my college sophomore and high school junior down this weekend to talk about getting their licenses - one more time. The answer was - not interested. They can talk (actually talk - not just type) to new people over the internet - using VOIP while playing games or whatever. They can watch, minute-by-minute, what is going on with the hurricane over cable and internet feeds.

There IS NO ATTRACTION that makes learning the technical stuff worthwhile. There is nothing at the end of the effort that is *attractive*.

Both said that if there were a license that had ONLY Morse Code testing, it would be more attractive. It would take a LOT less time to learn.

They and their friends ARE attracted to the remote sensing robot project and could see getting a license for use with such a thing. But they, again, DON'T want to have to learn a bunch of technical knowledge they will never, ever use. Frankly, they said they would rather just build the links using what is needed and worry about someone reporting them later - which will probably never happen.

What you and the FCC seem to be missing is that when easily used, type-accepted equipment is available and fits a widely acknowleged *good* purpose, people will use it - regardless of the FCC regulations. The CB and GMRS services are prime examples of history that you and the FCC seem to be incapable of learning from.

It is my considered opinion that we are probably just a few years away from losing our 802.11g frequency allocations because people like you are too unwilling to break out of the box with your thinking and actually develop a license that is ATTRACTIVE to people because there is something it can be used for.

That is why I am still working on a proposal to the FCC for basically a minimum-test license restricted to use on the 802.11g frequencies.

So you just stay in your microcosm and feel good about yourself.

Meanwhile, the rest of us can go ahead with finding ways to make the service *ATTRACTIVE and RELEVANT* to new, young people.

tim ab0wr

4. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Predominately, people who cannot meet the requirement have whined for decades and now have managed to get the requirement changed. This nothing to do with telegraphy as telegraphy is still the second most popular mode no matter what the other people outside Amateur Radio have done. The whiners have managed to convince everyone that telegrapy is keeping people out of AR. There is a codeless license now that allows new applicants to implement wideband digital networks and services on frequencies where bandwidth rules allow. Note that there are little or no data systems up even those those licensees are 350k strong.

Removing telegraphy accomplishes one thing. It gets current NCT's who have not been motivated to pass the test on HF where they can shoot skip just like the real Amateurs. You can put lipstick on this pig, but it is still a pig.

You are correct in that you're not going to convince me that you are right because I have done my homework and know you are not. Looks like you're more likely to continue to convince yourself. You got what you wanted, lets see what you do with it. We'll be watching for all the great innovations.

Feel free to ignore this post. I have heard all your excuses before.

5. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

You left out one very important word in the above sentence.

It should read:

Lazy people have been rejecting Amateur radio partly because of the Morse code requirement.

There, now it makes more sense!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Charlie, AG4YO
    After starting this topic (thread) I`m wondering what You are going to do to Help make the Nprm Work??

After all the Hot debate in the Nprm thread and all the different views given and some mighty insults thrown around, What in Your view is now going to bring Both sides of the Argument together to be able to Enjoy the Hobby using HF??

I`m thinking that was your Motive for starting this Thread and getting some Positive input from All concerned? If that is the case then I wish you well.

Even though there is not a test for morse code in the U.K, As you know I took it upon myself to learn it anyway to give me another mode of Choice to use (and I do) I Sincerely Hope that if the Nprm is sanctioned then Amateurs will learn to deal with this in a positive way and encourage All to learn how to be a Good Operator on Hf no matter what mode you use!

I thankyou All for allowing me to join the debate and I hope that I have given Something Positive to it?
    And now I look forward to a Qso with you All on HF in what ever mode you are using.
    73s de Samantha 2e1dau

7. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

This was supposed to be a thread about bridging the gap, and welcoming the newcomers. But like all threads on QRZ it has degenerated into an us-vs.-them rant.

8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Simple answer. I actually posted this to try to see if there could be meaningful discussion. There was not.

Any questions?

9. AB0WR

AB0WR Ham Member QRZ Page

The hurricane disaster should give each and everyone on here pause to review their emergency preparedness.

Dependence upon operating modes with high power requirements will be a definite hindrance in the days, weeks, and months to come in the flooded areas of LA and MS.

Everyone who says "it won't happen here" and "someone will come to help" may very well be consigning themselves to uselessness in the face of such a disaster.

While FEMA and most emergency response teams seem to have their communications in order, communications for the common person may very well be a long time coming.

Even the portable cell towers and repeaters so many people say will do away with the need for amateur radio are going to have a hard time getting into the flooded areas for days or even weeks. Providing portable generators and keeping the generators fueled will be an even bigger challenge once the towers are established.

QRP rigs, both CW and SSB, with 7amp-hr batteries and solar cell rechargers are going to be worth a lot in this area for many, many days.

The truly scary thing is that the busiest part of the hurricane season is just beginning.

Pray for the survivors and offer what help you can to the Salvation Army and the Red Cross.

tim ab0wr

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Charlie, AG4YO

I have No further Questions as You have just Answered my Original one!

But I will say that your Original post and Opinion that started this Thread is a Far Cry from Some of the posts that you then made to Contribute towards the Topic!
    But interestingly your response was not what i thought it would be from Someone who must of thought so Passionately about the Healing process to start the Thread.

My Heart goes out to All those Affected by the Hurricane Disaster
    73s de Samantha 2e1dau

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.