What is your favorite microphone to use on your rig?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KY5U, Jul 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That is another easy one. Any mike that makes me sound really good. One that makes men admire my manly smooth deep voice. Women swoon. And children want to grow up and sound like me. Plus broadcasters want to hire and pay me a lot of money. Now that's a good mike as none of that actually applies to me.

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

It would if you were the most interesting man in the world.

3. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Outside of contests I tend to use the stock microphones, for SSB contests I use my Heil ProSet Plus that I bought in 2018. If I ever build an actual shack I may look at getting a PR-781, I wonder if I could get Bob to make it in blue for me for some extra dough.

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Having worked in broadcast, I know that you would be one of very few. Most (even ones with good "pipes") are paid peanuts.
    Same here. A headset keeps the microphone where it need to be, and it doesn't unnecessarily clutter the table between you and the rig. With a footswitch, it also keeps your hands free, so you can operate the rig & computer.

At one point, I decided to buy and install a boom-mounted microphone. I selected a RS 33-3038 unidirectional dynamic microphone. Its anechoic response is close to that of much more expensive microphones but, the cost is a fraction of the big names. The few times I've used it, others think I'm using a [expensive name brand] microphone. ;)

5. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, it was the title of your thread (What is your favorite microphone to use on your rig?)

And my answer was.
    The one that came with my radio.

KENWOOD TS50.jpg

KY5U and WA7PRC like this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2018-2-12_23-42-3.png

W4RAV likes this.
  7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

My PC-rig interface is homebrew, using inexpensive transformers + resistors. The PTT & CW interface is via my K1EL WinKeyer USB. With that, and my logger/keyer program setup, I can operate in a contest without touching the microphone or keyer paddle. :)

I use an outboard preamplifier/processor. I mix the PC and microphone audio at line level, and attenuate to the rig's microphone input: http://www.tinyurl.com/wa7prc-mixer. The PC interface uses a pn VM14-M transformer from Fair Radio Sales (
    link).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    KK5JY likes this.
  8. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

People still use microphones in this hobby? ;)

9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Not always...

communication.jpg

10. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Subscriber QRZ Page

KC8VWM likes this.