ad: MorseNin-1

What is your "dream" repeater system?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE7RUX, Apr 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

If you could have a dream repeater, what would it be?
    Anything is possible, so go ahead and throw it out there! Multi-band or Multi-mode? Full duplex? Meshnet? 10 Antennas? HF? I personally think it would be fun to have a 20m ssb repeater...........:eek:

2. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KX4O, N3AWS and KC1NY like this.
  3. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The ionosphere at the peak of a good solar cycle.

KX4O, W3ATV and VA6ADB like this.
  4. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

N0PE, KE3P W8TN!

N1EN and W9EBE like this.
  5. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One that someone was actually using.

N3AWS, W5WN, K0UO and 2 others like this.
  6. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

A repeater that absolutely no one complains about anything having to do with the operation, coverage, other operators, and so forth.

Having owned, operated, maintained, etc., amateur radio repeaters since the late 1960s, I can definitely say that there are 2-days in the life of an amateur radio repeater owner's life that are of extreme joy: The day the repeater goes on the air and the day that which one is finally free from the repeater. Every other day ranges from barely passable to absolute Hell! If the repeater even "burps" someone is going to complain and the telephone calls can come in any time of day or night! Those that complain the most are usually the same people who offer absolutely nothing towards the repeater's operation financially, technically, and so forth.

If an operator happens to say something that another operator is in disagreement, you get a telephone call wanting such person banned from the repeater. If the signal strength is lacking in some particular area, you get a call demanding that the coverage be increased. If someone has problems hitting the repeater, it is, of course, not the fault of his / her equipment, antenna, etc., but is because you are prohibiting them from using the repeater! The list of these "problems" is endless!

It seems like every newcomer wants to have his / her own repeater. If those persons would listen to those of us who have owned / provided amateur radio repeaters, they would not touch a repeater ownership with a 3.048-meter pole! Back when repeaters were just becoming popular, and when other operators actually knew about all the effort it took to establish and maintain a repeater, things were different. Unfortunately, those days are long gone and such plays a significant role in why I no longer even think of owning an amateur radio repeater.

Glen, K9STH

NL7W, W5WN, K0UO and 5 others like this.
  7. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A repeater that's linked all over creation, without the side effects. By that, I mean the idjits who violate the architecture of the system, resulting in endless feedback loops.

AI7PM, N3AWS and K0UO like this.
  8. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Alternate choice: One with linear transponders parked in geostationary orbit, with good ears, good signal, and coverage of my QTH and at least 100 DXCC entities?

(Or maybe HEO would be better than GEO, in the sense of having interestingly varying coverage)

W0PV, K0RGR and K0UO like this.
  9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in my younger & foolish days... ok, so I'm not younger anymore...

I actually had a 440 MHz repeater, once. Nice set of Motorola hardware, controller, antenna, duplexer, permission to use a nice site. Then the permission fell through, and the project sat for awhile. When a friend needed a frequency for a project he had in mind, I offered him my coordinated one... and then we discovered that the (then) frequency coordinator had reallocated the frequency to... himself. On the grounds that we (*) had never answered any letters from the Repeater Council. Which, as we found out when we went to a council meeting to protest, were never sent to us.

After THAT last little revelation, my friend was assigned a repeater frequency by the end of the next business day. That machine now belongs to my club, and is still going.

I also once tried to "solo" a 2 meter repeater on my in-laws dairy farm, down in Greene County about an hour's drive from my house (using some relatively ancient GE hardware purchased from a local club, after they upgraded). Same repeater coordinator... clearly he was no friend of mine... gave me an open pair, for that County, that was in use about 120 miles due north of the farm... and about 60 miles due north of my house. He then promptly informed the club that owned that other repeater of my plans, only neglecting to tell them about the repeater location. So, thinking I was putting this up at my house, I got confronted at the next hamfest by about 20 unhappy hams, who all looked like the tar was being warmed up, the feathers were being removed from the pillows, and they were looking for the nearest railroad... when I explained where the repeater was going, the then club president told me point blank that had they been told THAT, there would have been no issue.

That repeater never went up either. This happened shortly before my first marriage broke up. I ended up turning THAT little disaster of a project over to some hams in the county, who ended up with a different frequency pair, and last I heard that machine is still up and running to this day.

And now that I look back on it... I am so relieved that I actually dodged a couple of bullets there. The intentions were good, but the plans weren't completely thought out. Things worked out for the best, but I had no idea at the times of what I almost let myself in for.

(*) For the benefit of the grammar police: Not the royal "we" so often used by hams in conversation, but the other folks who were involved in the project. I wasn't doing this on my own.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Right idea... but make it THREE geosync birds, equally spaced in orbit about 120 degrees apart.

Each one has a transponder with a huge bandwidth (at least 25 MHz, and yes, I am dreaming) for it's own "regional" coverage area; and another "global" transponder linked to the other two.

So you'd have, say, one "regional" transponder covering North & South America, another covering EU & AF, and a third covering Asia and the Pacific. Then you'd have a "global" transponder from the three-bird link.

Of course, you'd need a few ground stations for control (and backup) and for the links. And by it's very nature, there'd be a 2 or 3 second delay that operators/users would have to adjust to. But that's all part of the academic exercises to figure out.

Hey, if you're going to dream... go for broke.

N1EN and KC9ONY like this.