What is THIS?

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by W4FBI, Jul 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4FBI

W4FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Working on a FTDX5000D - and found three strange items in series with the Phone CNTL line (front panel). They test as short both directions (with diode test). The schematic doesn't show anything like this.

5000D-01.JPG

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Those are 3M type UY2 Scotchlok connectors very common in the telcom world for splicing phone wires.

Dave
    W7UUU

WA9SVD and WG7X like this.
  3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

ok..... now that we've identified the devices, what do they do?

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Splicing blocks - you stick two phone wires in and crimp them with a Scotchlok tool. Inside the connector is anti-oxidizing goo. They are IDC connectors - insulation displacement - so you don't have to strip the wires first. Note: they are not removable and not reusable. You cut them off.

In my field tech days I probably installed over 100,000 of these as well as their red counterparts called UR2 and UR3 connectors.

I still have about 3000 of each on hand in my shop

Dave
    W7UUU

WG7X and KK4NSF like this.
  5. KL7SG

KL7SG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They are wire splices

6. W4FBI

W4FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

That make sense. New to me. Thanks for the help!

7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Also referred to as beenie-splices. Quick and waterproof way to splice two solid copper phone wires.

8. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

iteresting. Due to their shape and color, I thought they were some sort of odd diode or some other active device. thanks

9. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I use them also. Just bought a box of them for a project just to find another box in my tool box! Those things are great for low voltage / current applications!

10. N4ZAW

N4ZAW Subscriber QRZ Page

I just want to add that these connectors are not OEM. Some very mean person did that to your rig. Just when I thought I've seen everything! :confused: