What is This CW Signal on 144.010 ?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K2WH, Aug 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am hearing a faint CW like signal on 144.010 that is NOT morse on my ic-9700.

Here is a recording of it and it sounds exactly like the WWVB, 60khz time signal only this is on 144.010.

I was theorizing, my weather station which synchronizes its clock with WWVB is transmitting the signal on 2 meters, albeit very weakly via some sort of mixing internally in the weather station.

But, taking my Kenwood HT down to the weather station, there is no signal on 2 meters emanating from the weather station. My HT is the TH-f6 which is all mode and will tune CW, SSB etc.

Then further investigation, I found the signal can be enhanced or eliminated by rotating my 2 meter beam.

The signal is coming from my 220 degrees which points to a few homes, but no industry at all and a mountain ridge line and further, I cannot hear it on my 2 meter vertical.

Curious what you guys might think that what I am receiving is the WWVB time signal, sounds like it to me.

K2WH

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It does sound similar. Try doing basic DF by walking around with an HT to verify its coming from the weather station.

3. K2WH

Its not coming from the weather station, I updated my posting to exclude that possibility.

N0TZU likes this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Then I’m guessing it’s someone’s “atomic” clock with a spurious signal on 2m. Assuming it’s really WWVB that you’re hearing of course.

5. K2WH

Could be, my mother in law who has the same weather station (a gift), is in that direction (she lives next door), so tonight, I will bring the HT over to her house and check.

6. K2WH

Still there.

7. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Definitely sounds like WWVB--the spacing of the tones sure sounds like the 800 (marker), 500 (binary 1) and 200 (binary 0) millisecond BCD.

Edit: is a bearing of 220 pointing at Ft. Collins, CO from your QTH in NJ? Maybe your radio just picking it up through some kind of resonant harmonic? (144.01 / 0.06 = 2400.1666 ?)

8. K2WH

That's a long shot (no pun intended), but 220 is pointing SW from this location towards the Gulf of Mexico, but I agree, that that is WWVB that I am receiving from somewhere.

Here's a video.

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Well, it's certainly not Morse - that part's for sure. There's a poorly sent pair of "Q" and a "Vee" in there - and if you bend your "Morse Imagination" a few other letters - but surely not intended to be Morse, despite being CW.

Very odd!

Dave
    W7UUU

10. K2WH

OK, its not my MIL weather station, I just got home as of the time stamp on this posting.

There is now a steady tone, same amplitude, unchanging.

Here is a game changer, on a hunch, I shut off my FTdx3000 and the steady tone disappeared !

The 3000 sits right next to the 9700 and the steady tone is on the exact same frequency. I'll check again tomorrow to see if the WWVB type of signal comes back but this is getting really weird.