What is this antenna on my neighbor's roof?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by AE4AW, Nov 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

With a real TV antenna, I get 94 channels. My neighbor gets 21 with that antenna. Both the same height.
    The reason that an old TV antenna works, is that it is Log-Periodic. Hence, all elements are connected. These new ones just have 1 element connected & a WIDE amplifier to hopefully get you some TV.

Ed

NH7RO likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just because it's made in China doesn't mean you'll be hungry an hour later.

But, that is possible.

WD3N likes this.
  3. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Just don't use chopsticks for the elements and you'll be golden.

KP4SX and WD3N like this.
  4. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

Channel Master makes some really good long range HDTV antennas. If anybody is not near a Fry's Electronics, simply order one from their website. They make antennas advertised for up to 75 mile range. That's probably just marketing, of course, but from what I can tell they're far more than the mini antennas like in the OP.

If you paired a good Channel Master long range antenna with a third party amplifier, and put it on the top of a 30 or 40 foot guyed mast, you would have one hayy of a OTA HDTV system. Considering topography, you might pull in quite a large number of stations outside your local operating area. Add a rotor and you would be a god to your neighbors, and maybe get them to "cut the cord" too. Great way to mention HR to them as well.

Of course, many people have the HOA jerks to worry about. Some tracts forbid ALL external antennas. I figure that the local outlet of Big Cable shells out lots of money to developers to get such rules in place. During the real estate boom in the 2000s my cousin bought a townhouse in Reno that had such a HOA rule, then the HOA apparently had some sort of dispute with the cable provider and the cable co cut off all service to the tract. Her very expensive TV was a paperweight for a while, and she was forced into dialup internet.

NH7RO likes this.
  5. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Channel Master and Winegard were the gods of my universe when I was a kid; always fun to see dx tv stations roll in via occasional sporadic E with one of them turned by an Alliance U-100 on the roof...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    WZ7U likes this.
  6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

ZOL:

Over the air antennas CANNOT be excluded by any HOA, city ordinance, and so forth. Federal regulations banning any such exclusion were enacted a number of years ago. It does not matter if CC&Rs were in the deed restrictions or HOA agreements, those such restrictions were nullified by Federal law.

Glen, K9STH

K3GM and KU4X like this.
  7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, that's not quite true.

The OTARD ruling has some limitations on OTA TV antennas:

1) Historic districts can prohibit them.

2) There are limits on the size, height and placement of the antennas and support structures.

3) The antennas can be prohibited if the HOA provides "free" community antenna service which covers the same OTA channels.

4) OTA antennas cannot be installed unless needed to receive TV meant for the area. IOW, a person in my town who lives in an HOA can install an OTA antenna to receive Philadelphia TV, but can't use the preemption to put up an antenna to get New York stations.

OTARD did not nullify all restrictions on OTA antennas. What it did was to provide specific preemptions of the restrictions.

73 de Jim N2EY

KU4X and NH7RO like this.
  8. W2GIW

W2GIW Ham Member QRZ Page

Check the Winegard site and also Solid Signal.
    Good info.
    Ken, W2GIW

9. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Details are on the FCC web site:
    Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule
    https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-reception-devices-rule

Note: FCC web site will shut-down tomorrow (January 3rd) due to the partial government shut-down.

10. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

These types of antenna are only effective (and intended to be used) in areas where Digital TV is broadcast in the UHF around ~500-800. Using one for VHF low-band is not gonna work very well. If your local TV station is still operating in the stone age running analog, buy an old school log-P. For instance, WCBS here in New York is running 1080p digital on UHF ch33.