WHAT IS THE WAIT TIME FOR A SELLER OR BUYER FOR PAYMENT

Discussion in 'Ham to Ham References' started by KM4OP, Dec 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KM4OP

KM4OP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello all,

Just throwing this out there to see what folks think. I sell and buy a number of items on QRZ
    When I contact a seller and agree on a price for an item I send payment immediately. If I decide to change my mind And do not want item I contact seller immediately let them know I'm passing on the item. Myself once I commit to buy I know I already want the item, but it does happen understandable. I think it's a courtesy to let the seller know that you changed your mind so he can move on to other potential buyers .

I had an item for sale yesterday one person said they wanted it give me your PayPal info which I did . Waited a few hours no payment I sent an email out to see if the interest was still there no response, I had another buyer waiting . I expressed to the other buyer I was giving the prior buyer time to respond . Finally got a response from the first buyer he passed on the item which is OK . But I think you should have let me know in a timely manner . I then emailed the second buyer letting them know they were next in line to purchase said item . No response from second Buyer. Sent email also through QRZ messaging.
    No response waited a couple of hours . I then received email from a potential third motivated buyer . I move ahead with third buyer he sent PayPal payment immediately also sent extra for shipping which I did not request sold item .

This morning I received an email from the second buyer wanting to purchase the item I returned his email informing him that the item has been sold . This was his response :

Thanks for wasting my time! You didn’t get a response for a couple hours and you skip right over me?
    Real quality here. I’ll be posting this so people know to avoid deals with you.

What do you think ? Season greetings to all

73 Phil KM4OP

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

With all of that , or any other transaction , there are so many variables , its hard to put one fixed timeline .
    Type of payment , there could be a 5 business day for transaction ?
    I get my internet at coffee shops , so delay ?
    Then there are a lot of tire kickers , some will go though multiple contacts / questions etc. , and then just stop communicating [ maybe just entertainment for them ? ] .
    So who ever you can get to buy as soon as possible .
    In todays environment , you'l never make everyone happy .

KM4OP likes this.
  3. N1UXA

N1UXA Ham Member QRZ Page

Phil,
    I know you sell a lot of stuff and I also know you are an honest and reputable seller. You also have numerous good ham to ham references and quality merchandise for sale.
    My take on this is "First Come First Served". To me that means whomever expresses interest AND PAYS gets the item.
    If one is selling marginal items at inflated costs, that's one thing. You, on the other hand, seem to have quality items, (Motorola), at reasonable prices that people actually want.
    I would have done the same thing. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Seasons Greetings and 73,
    Tom - N1UXA

KM4OP, K9ASE, N3AB and 2 others like this.
  4. KM4OP

Thanks for your input Tom.

Season greetings especially good health to you and your family

Phil KM4OP

Attached Files:

5. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly. This is how it works at a hamfest, garage sale, Craigslist, etc.

KM4OP and K9ASE like this.
  6. KM4OP

Good input.

Thanks season greetings good health

Phil KM4OP

7. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I think you did okay, Money Talks.

This is one advantage to Ebay "Buy it NOW" and Hamfests. Pay for it NOW.

You are damned if you do, and might not sell it if you wait. :eek:

I prefer Paypal, I have had folks offer to send a check, money order etc.

I want to be paid NOW via Paypal, not jerked around, oh the post office is too far for me to go and get a money order; I can not pay you till my next check comes in 28 more days/etc. BAH Humbug.

KM4OP likes this.
  8. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't sold a lot of things here but I've sold (and bought) quite a bit on EBAY. EBAY is easy because I always put that payment is due within 3 days of the closing. If they don't pay within that time frame I'll either relist it or sell it 2nd chance to the next in line. Here, things seems to work a bit more on a personal basis. If I get multiple people that want the same item, I try and be as fair and diplomatic as possible. Basically first come first serve. If someone is next in line and dragging their feet on payment I'll send them a nice email but give them a time frame to pay and explain others are waiting to see if this person follows through. I try and give more than a few hours though as some people might be at work or not able to access their email account. Typically overnight is long enough and then it's time to move on to the next in line. Just try and be fair and if somebody takes exception to it so be it. As previously stated, you can't make everyone happy. Fortunately everyone I've dealt with here have been great. Haven't had any real issues.

N1UXA, KM4OP and K9ASE like this.
  9. N3AB

N3AB Ham Member QRZ Page

Phil,

This happens to me too. For Paypal (if the guy said he wants the item), I usually give the buyer a full day, feeling that maybe after he emailed me, he shut down for the night and went to work in the morning. If still no payment after a full day, I email the first guy, telling him I got no response, I assume he doesn't want the item, then move to buyer #2. Like another poster said, lots of variables.

If I was the buyer, I would never think of taking issues up with the seller. I understand it's first come-first served. Not the end of the world. Other similar items will eventually come up. Most people are very reasonable to deal with. Some have a short fuse.

Don't let it bother you. You have a good reputation here. Enjoy the rest of your day, and have a great Holiday Season!

John N3AB

KM4OP likes this.
  10. KM4OP

Thank you all for your input.

Merry Christmas Happy Healthy New Year

73 Phil KM4OP

Attached Files: