What is the value of a Heathkit Hw9 UNBUILT

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by WB2GLW, Apr 4, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2GLW

WB2GLW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was offered a unbuilt Hw9 for $1000

I was told they are like gold,,

mike wb2glw

2. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Value is what you assign to it.
    Personally, way over priced, others might not think so.

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

An unbuilt Heathkit DX-20 transmitter from the 1950s sold on eBay about 10 years ago for close to SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS.

Were you to build it... it would be worth $100 - $150 on a good day (after you spent $100 or so on all new resistors and capacitors, as the ancient ones are now garbage)

Figure it out from there ... ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

N2UHC, AB2YC and KA5NLY like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

An unbuilt Heathkit automobile windshield wiper delay outboard controller might generate $25 on eBay on a good day...

Built? It's scrap metal.

Another example of how it can go - it depends ENTIRELY on what the "unbuilt Heathkit" product is in the first place.

Dave
    W7UUU

5. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

As Dave said, it's a collectable, not worth building. You get to stare at a sealed box.

N2UHC and KA5NLY like this.
  6. KA5NLY

KA5NLY Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, and if you open the box, you will have knocked a couple hundred bucks off of that $1,000...so you can either keep the kit sealed as it was new and have a $1,000 mantel decoration, have an $800 curiosity that you and others view how it was originally packaged, or a $200 rig if you assemble it.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!!

I opened the box and built mine...I do think it looks a lot better in my shack than a cardboard box would look on the mantel.

EuGene
    KA5NLY

W7UUU likes this.
  7. W7UUU

I have acquired several really cool unbuilt Heathkits over the years - and built most of them. Alas, two unbuilt kits died in a major fire last October: HD-8999 UltraPro Keyer keyboard, and an original 1950s Cantenna - the very first issue, with the big black art-deco label :(

But I know for a fact there are a fair number of "Brown Box that says Heathkit" collectors around the world... some with DOZENS of them.

I really have to wonder how many actually have nothing inside but weights, with the original tape very carefully removed and reinstalled, knowing the hard-core collectors of "Brown Boxes" will never deign to cut the tape to "see inside".... ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

KA5NLY likes this.
  8. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Three recent sales of same on eBay:
    $700 plus $36 shipping
    $910 with free shipping
    $922 plus $44.31 shipping

Today's gold price:
    ~ $1,740 / ounce

;)

KA5NLY likes this.
  9. W7UUU

Were it me, I'd just build it

But heed the advice of the skilled folks on QRZ if you do: The HW-9 is a fairly involved radio. You'd want to replace most all of the electrolytic capacitors, and very possibly a bunch of carbon resistors - measure out each and every part to make sure its in tolerance. Those parts are now VERY old and not suitable to just stuff into the boards today.

We had a member here about 3-4 years ago who came across a very rare unbuilt HW-9 and he launched into the project a bit "bull in a China shop" - despite his fine electronics skills in other ways, his rush to completion was his downfall. The radio, last I heard, was never made operable simply due to a rushed assembly, and too many botched steps due to haste.

But if assembled and aligned properly, a HW-9 is a VERY capable QRP CW rig and will last many many years on the air.

Dave
    W7UUU

[​IMG]

10. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had TWO complete HW-9 stations and I regret selling them every day. I love my HW-8 and I use it almost weekly. I would not pay $1000 for the HW-9 built or unbuilt...but someone might. If it is just the radio and does not include the WARC upgrade, I'd maybe give them $300 for the kit. It'll need a LOT of parts replaced.

KU3X likes this.