What is the performance hit on this NMO setup?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KD2HAM, Sep 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KD2HAM

KD2HAM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good evening.

I recently removed the trunk lip NMO mounts off of my BMW and purchased a set of permanent installation NMO mounts.

There will be two antennas, one of which will be a Larsen 2/70 dual band and the other a Larsen 5db gain 800mhz antenna for my Uniden scanner.

Looking at the structure of the trunk I provided a picture of where I would drill the holes to keep it symmetrical. I was told that the hamiltonian needs about 20 in all around and the circles in yellow is a secondary option. I am trying to avoid the second option so just looking for opinions on what the performance it will be on both compared to a roof install which I will not do.

Yellow measurements are 20-18-10 PXL_20210911_225806570.jpg IMG_20210915_210641.jpg IMG_20210915_210645.jpg

Thank you.

2. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since this seems to be your only option You should give it a try. Worst case you can buy a new truck lid but, I think that’s what you would like to avoid. :) Obviously your roof would provide a larger ground plane but, that doesn’t seem to be an option.

I think if I ever decide to add an amateur radio to my 2010 Camaro I’ll just remove the shark fin (OEM antenna) and use the existing hole.

KD2HAM likes this.
  3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Should work fine in the preferred location.

KD2HAM likes this.
  4. K6GBW

K6GBW Ham Member QRZ Page

We ran antennas almost exactly like that on our patrol cars and it works just fine. Just make sure the antennas don't slam into your car's roof when you open it.

KD2HAM likes this.