ad: ProAudio-1

What is the motivation for QSL Card Managers?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, May 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've often wondered what compels some of the mega-card QSL managers. I've seem some managing cards for a dozen or more major DX or contest stations.

Is it just the "green stamps" Seems like a TON of work for probably not much $$ in return after they pay for printing the cards, buying the envelopes and paying the often-international postage

Or is there some aspect I'm not thinking of?

Dave
    W7UUU

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I truly believe it's part of their fun in hamradio, and to help those that otherwise would not QSL, either due to logistics, cost, or time.

The funds raised pay for card printing, postage, envelopes, bureau fees, maybe internet access, etc.

Not every station they manage is a highly sought after one. If there is any money left, they deserve to keep it. I have also heard that some managers purchase needed equipment with the surplus money, and send it to the stations they manage.

Worst case scenario, they are making a 'killing'. It's a free market economy, jump in. Competition is good.:D:D:D

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    W7DCM and K9ASE like this.
  3. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Stamp collectors?
    Really don't know, but some countries need a manager
    due to postal theft. (most places S. of the Rio Grande)

4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On a large volume scale maybe there is some money to made. Maybe not enough to retire to the south coast of France, tho. Take the two major players in the UK. Both have good automated OQRS systems and you get your card in a couple of weeks normally. US$3/pop. That plenty covers the postage and supplies and if you are doing ten thousand cards a year then it not an insignificant amount of hobby money for the effort.
    In the US there's plenty of managers but they are mostly 'manually' shuffling envelopes and such. For US SASEs there's not a penny to be made. Guys like W3HNK do it because they like to and if they get enough $2 requests from overseas stations then apparently it covers the operation as a whole.
    I was mgr in the 70s for a few stations in the Caribbean - some quite active. It was a significant amount of work since they had to send logs over the air on fone and I had to copy them down! I got a lot of mail but sure as heck didn't make any profit. Worked as the J sorter at the W4/K4/N4 buro in the early 80s. Total volunteer work.
    Am presently mgr for a Cuban station and we chat about stuff regularly and I count him among friends and find it personally gratifying to help out. You'd be surprised how FEW cards I get for him. He does some of his own online chores but I have to manage his eQSL account since he doesn't have access.
    I'd sum it up as simply a volunteer effort.

W3MMM, K9ASE, KA0HCP and 2 others like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wonder how long ol' Joe will be around? He must be in his late 70s by now.

I doubt there's much $$ to be made in this and is more likely hobby within a hobby.:)

6. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good answer. I've never heard HNK on the air. Is he active in the ether?

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to hear and work Joe back in the 60s/70s.

Lately...no.

8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked him three years ago when he was in the Caribbean.

9. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They get to see all the cool card designs from exotic DX locations go across their desk.

W7DCM, W3MMM, WA7PRC and 1 other person like this.
  10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of reasons. Two stations for whom I managed qsl cards for were in locations where the internet wasn’t reliable necessitating paper confirmations.

Still other DX stations either don’t want to, like to or be bothered with confirmations but would rather spend their time on the radio.

Others consider qsl’ing a pain which, if they had no option, wouldn’t work lots of stations to inflict work on themselves.

Others have no logging requirement and therefore wouldn’t if someone else wasn’t helping them.