ad: MyersEng-1

What is the most OM in your log?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N7BKV, Oct 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe you are him!
    Anyway, I had a wonderful 10 min rag chew with Bill N0FU near San Diego. Bill is 91 years old. Operating for 67 years. Old Navy guy. I hope I can still operate the key and see the radio at that age. Hats off to all you ops closing in on the century mark.

Speaking of which, has anyone worked an op 100 years or older?

Brian N
    N7BKV

2. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to work a 93 year-old ham who had a QRP rig and indoor antenna in a senior-living community a few blocks away from my QTH. He had a better fist on SK than I, and he was decades older.

Sadly, he is now SK, but I remember chatting on cold winter evenings. Felt like "the old days."

N7BKV likes this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Never worked anyone sending they were >100 y.o.

But have worked many ops in their 90s.

Unfortunately, the old military ops who were trained during WW2 or Korea are leaving us pretty quickly, and not so many left. But in my experience, probably like yours, most of them were really good code ops and a lot of them used bugs, which blows my mind since a keyer is so much easier!

But they learned on bugs and just kept using them.

Recently worked a YL op who's pretty old and although she could "copy" code at "any speed" (she actually sent that), she was just starting out with sending code. Not bad, not perfect. She was a code intercept operator in the Army and all her training was in "copying," she never had to send anything.

When she said "any speed," I ramped mine up to about as fast as I can send (~45-50 wpm) and posed a few questions, which she answered just fine...indicating she really could copy just fine.

Great fun bumping into such people.

WB5YUZ and N7BKV like this.
  4. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll agree on the old military ops, I have a friend who still uses his military bug. I logged for him on a field day he's ripping along at 35-40 wpm and says you copying this ok? I said, just say the call and section Bob.

N7BKV likes this.
  5. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked W1YL on 40 meters one night... I don't know her age, but Ellen was first licensed in 1946.

W5BIB, WB5YUZ and N7BKV like this.
  6. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

When I first started working the General CW bands, in 1977, if I worked someone whose age was above 75 or so, and they had a 1x2 call beginning with W, I would ask them if they were the original OP with that call. Often they were!

I've never worked anyone who was 100, although I have worked plenty in their mid/late nineties. One of the things I dread most is the day I have to leave the radios behind and move into a home. That day is no longer distant...

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Worth Gurley - W7WG - local club member who turned 103 this year

Dave
    W7UUU

N7BKV likes this.
  8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Many in their 90s over the years... can't recall any Centenarions though... but that might be only because I can't recall!

9. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

My personal [know] record is 92 yrs old.

10. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know the feelin' :(

N7BKV likes this.