What is the best solder for re-flowing solder joints on these old radios?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KD0YSX, Oct 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. W3SLK

W3SLK Ham Member QRZ Page

KF5FEI said:
    That is what we used to do on our 2M Pace station when I was in the Navy. Glycerin or mineral oil worked well and we were able to keep the glass tube unobstructed and clean.

K1LKP and KA5IPF like this.
  2. KD8WU

KD8WU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Been using one of these for 50 years. Love 'em. Thru hole there's nothing better.

[​IMG]

K1LKP and N3RYB like this.
  3. KI4ZNV

KI4ZNV Ham Member QRZ Page

Makes sense. I find myself dumping the tube constantly though! I can work faster with a Soldapulit sometimes!
    --scott

K1LKP likes this.
  4. W7IMM

W7IMM Ham Member QRZ Page

The absolute best way to re-solder a connection is to suck out the old solder and re-solder with a good rosin-core 60/40 solder.
    The best investment I ever made was when I bought one of these!

It's a fairly cheap one but so far, it works well!

[​IMG]

K1LKP likes this.
  5. KK7BMS

KK7BMS Ham Member QRZ Page

K1LKP likes this.
  6. KI4ZNV

The good part about 2% silver-bearing solder is that it won't leach silver off plated conectors and it won't generate tin whiskers at extremely high voltages like CRT anodes. The bad part about it is that the connections always look kind of dull so it's more difficult to inspect them.
    --scott

K1LKP likes this.
  7. K0ELB

K0ELB Ham Member QRZ Page

When I started repairing Tektronix oscilloscopes I found WBT 4% silver solder and bought a small roll of it. It works so well I bought the 1/2lb roll and use it exclusively on everything I solder. It's not cheap at $160 for a 1/2lb, but it flows very well and is easy to clean up. And it won't hurt those precious ceramic strips in the old Tektronix equipment.

https://www.amazon.com/WBT-0820-Sil...er&qid=1636628424&sprefix=wbt+,aps,149&sr=8-4

(Pay no attention to the pictures of the pants, it's been that way for over a year and they still haven't changed it. You DO actually get a roll of solder and not pants when you order!)

K1LKP likes this.
  8. KI4ZNV

Sheesh, those Tek scopes came with a free roll of that stuff! And yes, it's required on those things because of the silver plated strips.
    --scott

K1LKP and WE4E like this.
  9. K0ELB

K0ELB Ham Member QRZ Page

Out of three scopes only ONE had a roll on it, the rest were long gone before I got them. But that WBT solder is so nice it's all I use now for everything.

K1LKP likes this.
  10. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh man, if I had a nickel. I have one or two of those little solder spools around here that I scavenged out of some old 529 scopes. I still can't get "Miller runup" out of my head.

K0ELB and K1LKP like this.