WHAT IS THE BEST LOGGING SOFTWARE FOR FREE!!!!

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by EI6GTB, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. EI6GTB

EI6GTB Ham Member QRZ Page

:eek:Hi all,
    ive allways kept a paper log but now i would like to keep a log on my pc.
    Id prefer an easy to use program as im still a one finger typer, but i would like to be able to have the following features as i have had a look on the web for such a program, and found a few but still need advice.

1. electronic logging
    2.world map (with grey line)
    3.qso,s with wanted countrys
    4.dx paths (rotator control )
    5. anything else would be a bonus!!!!!

MONEY IS TIGHT BUT MY XYL IS TIGHTER..

M0NNQ and N8NOE like this.
  2. N6OSB

N6OSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out CQRLOG...

I've played with lots of loggers. CQRLOG works the bets in Linux. They make a windows & mac version.

CQRLOG might not look very appealing but all its functions just work great. I mainly was looking for a logger with LOTW support and Rig Control but it does a whole lot more than just that.

KF4RAF likes this.
  3. EI6GTB

Thanks for the advice, i should of said that the operating system im using is windows xp. I dont know if that helps or not.

4. DJ1YFK

DJ1YFK Guest

Logger32 by K4CY: http://logger32.net/
    DX Lab Suite by AA6YQ: http://dxlabsuite.com/

Both are free and cover most of your requirements.

5. KB3X

KB3X Guest

Why is it that hams will pay thousands for a radio and antennas, but then demand that ham software be free? We programmers need to make a living too despite what the numb skulls at the GNU project think.

VK4FABK, KP4UFO, G5JIM and 1 other person like this.
  6. EI6GTB

TO kb3x,
    im sorry my friend that software or freeware offends you but i thought that a logging program under freeware for fellow hams would not be that much of a big deal. As to a trade i'm a carpenter , i dont expect you to want me to build you a roof for nothing. But many times ive climbed a roof or tower or trees for fellow hams and not wanted to be paid for my skills.

WHAT EVER HAPPENS, HAPPENS.
    AND I CAN NOT CHANGE THAT!

7. K8MCN

K8MCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham Radio Deluxe-hands down the best! IMHO

KP4UFO likes this.
  8. DJ1YFK

DJ1YFK Guest

Sharing antennas or transceivers is not as easy as sharing software.

If it was, there would be plenty of hams who'd gladly share the transceivers and antennas they developed with their fellow hams. And there'd be no more need for a dominance of YAECOMWOOD. But hardware is not software, and apples are not oranges.

I for one am glad that there are people like K4CY, AA6YQ, HB9DRV and many others enjoy what they are doing (developing excellent ham radio software) so much that they don't seek monetary compensation for it. How absurd would that be? It's a hobby, after all.

By the way, I do make a living by developing both software and hardware in a corporate environment. Without the tools available thanks to the GNU movement, it wouldn't be half as enjoyable.

But I know where to draw the line between hobby and profession.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2009
  9. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

I also appreciate some of the "free" software available for ham radio use. In some cases the software is made because someone has the skill and desire to help other hams. For others, it also gives the author the ability to "showcase" his or her ability and talent in a little or no cost manner! ;)

:)

10. EI6GTB

THANK YOU
    ALL HAMS THAT GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO HELP OTHERS AND EXPECT NO REWARD!!!
    I myself will try to help anyone that ask's me, in any way i can.
    I take my hat off to those that have the skills that others do not have themselfs, and those that dont know but have the humble nature to ask.

HISTORY WILL BE KIND TO ME, FOR I INTEND TO WRITE IT.
    SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL 1874-1965.

KP4UFO and KC1MAC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.