what is the best lighting arrester for my situation

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN4IXC, Aug 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KN4IXC

KN4IXC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a efhw 10-80m its a 135 feet long and I have lmr 600 db on it and I also have a alpha delta dipole with rg 8x on it. and it goes to my mfj 939 tunner than to my icom 718.

2. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't bother with a lightning arrestor.

Disconnect the coax from your equipment when storms are approaching and when you're not using your station.

;)

K4AGO, W9RAC and VK6APZ like this.
  3. KN4IXC

KN4IXC Ham Member QRZ Page

I never thought of that thank you! what about grounding my radios?

4. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Make sure the coax ends are placed in a Mason jar.;)

NL7W, KA4DPO and KR2C like this.
  5. W4IOA

Aren't they grounded through the outlets?

6. W4IOA

Ground your coax where it enters your shack as required in the NEC.

KP4SX likes this.
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

But it has to be on "Funk & Wggnells porch...

Seriously, if you go the "disconnect" route, the disconnected coax should be OUTSIDE your house, noy inside. And ground the coax shield.

WA0YDE and W4IOA like this.
  8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Well shucky Darn! you mean that lightening that travels hundreds of miles thru the air will somehow get past the Mason jar?

W4IOA likes this.
  9. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Recent personal experience--several different incidents--has taught me a few things.

I had a storm sneak up on me very quickly while running a net. My system was safety grounded, and I had a properly installed Alpha Delta lightning arrestor in line were the coax enters the house. My radio was fried. The lightning arrestor was fine--I tossed it.

I beefed up the grounding system and installed PolyPhaser RF surge protectors in line. A few weeks later, another system crept up on me. My radio was fine, but the SWR was suddenly crazy high. That was because the PolyPhaser had done its job. It was permanently grounded center to sleeve.

If you use 'lightning arrestors,'

1)Have a grounding system with meets, but goes beyond code.
    2)go with PolyPhaser
    3)install them outside with the lowest resistance path to ground possible.

There are plenty of repeater and transmitter sites where the radios are always on and always connected. These sites also have good grounding systems, and use RF surge protectors.

If the coax isn't grounded (shield & center), sticking the coax in a Mason jar will bring both the lightening and a bunch of chattered glass into your shack.

W4IOA and ND6M like this.
  10. W4IOA

Lightning is a regular occurrence here in Poverty Flats, I've been listening to rumblings for the past several hours.
    My coax enters the house under the eave above where my power comes in so I have easy access to the primary outside ground. I have an A/D arrestor at the entrance and a heavy copper groundwire going to the busbar where other ground wires collect before heading to the primary ground. So far so good.

The Mason jar is an old wives tale that invites shards of glass as its results. It's interesting how many "intelligent" electrically knowledgeable hAms fall for it.