What is the best hf mobile.....

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KB4MNG, Dec 21, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K4YND

K4YND Ham Member QRZ Page

For me working HF is more of a immersion. So that means parked. Maybe waiting to pick up someone or at one the kids practices. A KX2 on the dash would be ideal for me.

US7IGN likes this.
  2. NG7I

NG7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a TS-480HX and it works very well. I have tuned Hustler resonators on a rebuilt MFJ mag mount base. Just stay within resonance on whatever band you choose for the trip and it’s fairly hands off. The lack of menus for normal operation is a plus. I have an external tuner for it but when you interface it for radio control, the TS-480HX will limit itself to 100W. So I dispense with the tuner and just stay within the antenna’s tuned bandwidth.
    A note on the MFJ triple magnet base, the capacitive coupling to the vehicle is a huge benefit but you must rebuild the feedpoint before using it. A little home engineering and you can devise a solid solution. Well worth the effort.
    Patrick - NG7I

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    KK9W likes this.
  3. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-891 gets my vote. The radio has a good NB, DNR and a remote head unit.

NG7I likes this.
  4. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

I once had a QSO with Geoff (W5OMR) while he was
    running a Johnson VikingII on 75M A.M., mobile in his truck.
    2500 Watt inverter and a Large bugcatcher antenna worked fine.

NG7I likes this.
  5. NG7I

NG7I Ham Member QRZ Page

That looks like a nice little rig. I’m looking for a second mobile HF rig for my other vehicle. Been watching another 480HX on eBay and that bid shot higher than any 480HX I’ve ever seen! It’s almost new price now so I’m not sure if that was just a fluke or what. In the interim I’m looking around for options. The 891 is certainly smaller. Do you find it easy to use while sailing down the freeway at 70mph or do you find yourself distracted frequently?

6. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

It's mostly menu driven and yes it is a bit distracting if I need to change parameters. If I keep the head unit just below eye level it's fine. I had mine velcroed to the dash to the right of the steering wheel. Seemed to be the best location. YMMV.

NG7I likes this.
  7. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

8. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been playing HF mobile since 1993

by a wide margin, My favorite is the Kenwood TS-480HX paired up with a TARHEEL II antenna.

you don't need an antenna tuner, because the antenna is quickly made resonant

unlike the 706, 857, and 891, the rig doesn't require diving into complicated menus for every change.

It's a joy to operate, 200 watts is nice too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Anything with a screwdriver antenna. I am using an IC-7000 & in the past have used a 706MHIIG. Both did well. 706 took large amounts of abuse.

Ed

W9WQA likes this.
  10. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

imagine a 7000 with a built in tuner like the 100z...
    love my 7000 AND 7300. never sell